How do I restore/recover my list of recent documents?

How do I restore/recover my list of recent documents? the list used to come up  when I clicked on start and then on "My Recent Documents", but now when I do that all it shows is "EMPTY".   What did I do wrong?, and how can I fix it?  I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3 on a Sony Vaio Model VGN-N130G Laptop computer.
Answer
Answer

Hi,

1. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
  2. Do you have any third party cleaning software installed on your computer?

If the computer was setup with a user "Owner" as done by a number of pre-loaded systems, and the
name is changed to "XYZ", then you lose the 'my recent documents' feature.

You may try these steps and check:

Method 1:

Follow these steps and check if it helps in fixing the issue:

a. Right-click Start, and then click Properties. Or, if the Start menu is already displayed, right-click an empty area of theStart menu, and then click Properties.

b. Click Customize. Click the Advanced tab.

c. Under Recent documents, click to select the List my most recently opened documents check box, clickOK, and then click OK.

Method 2:

Follow the steps given here and check if it helps.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

a. Click Start-> Run->type in regedit.exe and press Enter.

b. Locate the following key in the Registry Editor.HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

c. In the right side pane, right-click and select 'New' > DWORD Value

d. Name the DWORD key as NoRecentDocsHistory

Note: If you have this key already, skip to the below mentioned step.

e. Double-click the NoRecentDocsHistory key

f. Set the value as 0.

g. Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.

Refer to:

How to Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in Windows XP

Hope it helps.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 5,279 Applies to: