How can I move my Recycle Bin back from my desktop to my folder tree in Windows Explorer?

When attempting to empty my recycle bin in Windows XP Pro I've been receiving an error message:

Error Deleting File or Folder

Cannot remove folder Dc174: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

OK

This Dc folder number keeps increasing the more I try to comply with various instructions from different help sites around the net about what I believe to be a corrupt recycler folder. When I try to delete the $RECYCLER folder so that by instruction it should be recreated or replaced upon next restart, the command prompt gets answered with: 'The system cannot find file specified'.

This also does not work for me in Safe Mode with command prompt or Safe Mode with networking.

sfc /scannow , sfc /revert and chkdsk /f  or  /r haven't done anything at all to correct this for me.

Now with all the fooling around I've done in the past week I have a new problem,
my recycle bin has been moved out of the bottom of the desktop folder tree in Windows Explorer to my desktop.
It is not a shortcut icon, rather the recycle bin itself with only the recycle bin properties so I cannot delete it from the desktop any better than I've been able to delete the $RECYCLER folder.

I seem at a loss to find much about this in the "Answers" or Support Community.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 238 Applies to:
Hi Jondan,
Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community Forums.
From the issue description, we understand that you get error when you try to empty recycle bin.
I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced.
Let me go ahead and help you with the issue.

Here are a few methods which you can follow to resolve the issue:

Method 1:
Refer to the link and follow steps given in the article:
Can't empty the Recycle Bin in Windows XP or in Windows Vista

Method 2:
Follow steps and check if it helps:
a. You may also enable hidden files and folders, then under all the drive partitions, check if there is any folder called ‘Recycle’, if it’s there, try to delete the same from all the partitions.
b. Restart the machine and check if the issue persists.
By default, some folders are hidden in Windows Explorer, try unhiding it and check.
Refer to the link:
To display hidden files and folders

Method 3:
Create a new user account and check.
Refer to the link:
How to create and configure user accounts in Windows XP

Hope this resolves the issue. If issue persists, you can write to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Mahesh K.,
Thank you for the reply and here are the results from the 3 Methods you listed:

Method 1:
I ran the FixIt program in the link page listed which is something I did several times last week and it continues to troubleshoot NFW, nothing found wrong. 

Manually and I am "Computer Administrator", with a C:\ prompt at administrative level, the result is:
-Access is denied

Method 2:
I have hidden files and folders showing.
I'm only set up with 1 Basic Partition, simple as I needed when I formatted my Vista hard drive and installed Windows XP Pro SP3 some 4 years ago.

Manually, the RECYCLER folder is showing S-1-5-21-1409082233-630328440-1177238915-1003, with 9 of the DcXXX various numbered folders and when you try to delete it:
-Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in use.

Method 3:
I created a new user account and again at administrative privilege and trying to perform the same methods with the new user account it showed me "MynamePC/MyNewnamePC" and the result was:
-Access is denied

This has continued to be my problem with every command line through this. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jondan,
Thank you for replying.
Sorry to know that methods suggested earlier did not help.

I would suggest you to to configure your computer to clean boot and check:
Refer to the following link.
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
Note: After you used the clean boot to resolve your problem, you can follow these steps to configure Windows XP to start normally.
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. Type msconfig, and then click OK.
The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
c. Click the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.
d. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mahesh K.,
Thank you for the reply.

Apparently I'm not allowed to "msconfig" now as I'm getting the "Access is denied" error message with trying to do this as well.

After I go msconfig >  Selective Startup > click to clear the necessary stuff > APPLY and I get:

"An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using a Administrator account to make the specified changes."

I have a 1 simple account computer and have always been logged on as "Computer Administrator" for about 5 years. Now I don't seem to have permission to eat ice cream far less apply anything.

Am I going to have to re-install Windows to fix this?

Hope not.

Sorry this didn't help.