How can I change default windows dialog font without dpi scaling?

In windows, I can customize Title, message box, menu, status bar and icon fonts. However I cannot change the default window font.

It is always "Microsoft Sans Serif" 8.25

I can change its face by changing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes\"MS Shell Dlg" value,

as a result I have "Verdana", 8.25

but it does not change the size. - how can I change 8.25 to something higher, to make the font legible?

Just out of curiosity, is there any plausible reason for Microsoft not allowing to change it?

If I change dpi scaling it will change the rendering size of all fonts without changing the size. It also causes some applications to have controls outside the window boundary.

What I would like to do is to set default windows dialog font to say Verdana 15 (just like I can change messagebox font). Sort of text only zoom...

Thanks in advance -- Serge

Hi Serge,

As for editing the registry to change the default font, that’s not something we recommend.

You can change the default font size in Display Properties under Appearance. For more information you may refer the Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to change the appearance of desktop items in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310543

Let us know if this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That is exactly the problem - I cannot change default dialog font there!!! This is why I start editing the registry - to do at least something...

In Appearance tab you can change only a few select fonts (messagebox, status, title, tooltip) - you can not change the default dialog font.
I would specify my question: how can I change the font on the tabs and body in the Display Properties dialog?
If you go to Themes tab, the text "A theme is background..." will not react to ANY changes in Appearance tab. The only thing that can do something is DPI scaling. But it causes much other grief...
Thanks a lot

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 10, 2024 Views 690 Applies to: