Computer boots normally but the desktop icons/startbar/everything are unclickable and can't do anything with them?

My brother recently installed FireFox on his Windows XP (the only recent change on this laptop). Last night my mother crashed the computer (the only thing she did apparently was click the volume panel too many times causing it to appear multiple times and then not disappear, she then tried to open the desktop shortcut "internet explorer" which then tried to load FireFox instead because it has become the default). From there the computer did not respond and i couldn't close it down normally so i had to switch it off. Today we tried multiple times to use that laptop but although it loads normally and the touchpad/mouse moves correctly, we cannot click on any icons or the startbar or anything so it is completely unresponsive.

Could somebody tell me what to do?

Question Info

Last updated March 7, 2019 Views 6,124 Applies to:
Answer
OK

Yes that is more than enough RAM.

Boot into Safe Mode again and check all entries in msconfig to see what is starting evry timne you boot up.

Start/Run and type in

msconfig

OK

Startup Tab

Keep the page open then go to the link below with your other machine. It will tell you what all the entries are and whether you can disable them or not. It will also identify any malware.  Disable everything which is not needed to run at start up

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Read the Key at top of page. Use the Search box to check all your entries

When you reboot you will get a message saying you have started in "Selective Startup"  Click "Don`t show this message again" then OK

Also check if there are any Yellow splats in Device Manager

Right click My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.