Can't change the user name for Administrator (XP SP3)

Hi.
I'm passing my computer to my wife, but I can't change the user name for the Administrator. In Control Panel, User Accounts, when I click 'My name' (Computer Administrator), the line 'Change the name' does not appear.
In registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ ProfileList for the relevant user, the user name is Administrator. I've tried changing that but it makes no difference.
So My name appears on the start menu and My names's documents are in My computer.
The computer has two users, both administrators, but it does not offer a choice of users when it boots, always going to the Administrator account.
I should be very grateful for advice.
Thanks very much.
Dear Stapler,

If you changed the user name from the control panel user options, the new name shall appear in your start menu and welcome screen. for the second issue which is the user logon, I'm wondering actually about that issue Because by default, you can logon automatically if you have a single user account but in your case you have 2 user accounts but it logon automatically to one of them. My advise to you is that: Uncheck the Use Welcome Screen and the next time you start the computer it will give you the old style logon box which you should enter your user name and password if you have one set. That is the best way for windows logn actually.
For the Documents folder, It cannot be renamed but you can always migrate your files to a new folder with a new name. Let me know what do you think about this point and I will text you with the procedure.

Best Regards,
M. Metwalley

Mohammad Metwalley Windows Systems Administrator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2023 Views 2,625 Applies to: