Cannot import C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Registry Backup\Backup260910.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or my other processes.____

Why am I not automatically signed in to Windows Live Messanger when I turn my computer on?
Latest post: Windows Live Mechell P., Monday, August 30, 2010 10:19 PM
Stop emailing replies to me
Friday, August 20, 2010 9:05 AM
Neil Clark
I have selected the option to automatically sign me into Windows Live Messanger when I turn my computer. Each time I shut down my computer, I am logged out of Windows Live Messanger and have to log in manually at the start of my next session.    Report as Abuse
  • Yes
  • No
Was this helpful?
Sunday, August 22, 2010 1:54 AM
Windows Live K-Ann C.
Hi Neil,

This error usually happens when a registry was changed when an update was made in your computer. To resolve this, just follow these steps:

Important:
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up, understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. 

Warning:If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Operating System. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Edit at your own risk.

BACKUP REGISTRY KEYS:

1. Click on Start, click on Run

2. Typeregedit and Click Ok

3. In theRegistry Editor window, click on My Computer on the left side  to make sure that you backup all registry keys.

4. Click onFile and click on Export

5. Save the file on your desktop or in your desired location. It will have the default extension (*.reg) to backup the registry.

6. To Restore Registry file, in the Registry editor window, click on File and click on Import

7. Browse to the location and look for file name with extension .reg and click on Open.

Note: A message will prompt you that the import has been successfully entered into the registry.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:

1. Open the Registry Editor, by clickingStart, and then Run. Type regedit then clickOK.

2. Open the folder User Shell Folders. To do this, click on the + sign of each of the items listed below.

a. Click the [+] sign besideHKEY_CURRENT_USER

b. Scroll down and click the [+] sign besideSoftware

c. Scroll down and click the [+] sign besideMicrosoft

d. Scroll down and click the [+] sign besideWindows

e. Scroll down and click the [+] sign besideCurrentVersion

f. Scroll down and click the [+] sign besideExplorer

3. Click onUser Shell Folders. A list of entries will appear on the right side. Double-clickAppData.

4. OnValue data, type in the following entry and click OK:  %USERPROFILE%\Application Data

5. Close the Windows Registry Editor, and reboot your computer.

Thanks,

K-Ann C. 

Report as Abuse
  • Yes
  • No
Was this helpful?
Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:27 AM
Neil Clark
Hi K-Ann,

Thank you for the above information.

I followed you instruction to back up the registry keys, however when I followed step number 7.Browse to the location and look for file name with extension .reg and click on Open, the answerable message that I received from the Registry Editor was as follows: -

Cannot import C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Registry Backup\Backup260910.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry.  Some keys are open by the system or my other processes.

So I closed my computer down and restarted. I then followed your instructions again (This time saving the Registry Backup to a member in the same library called 'Backup260910bkup'

Again, when I followed step number 7. Browse to the location and look for file name with extension .reg and click on Open, the answerable message that I received from the Registry Editor was as follows: -

Cannot import C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Registry Backup\Backup260910bkup.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry.  Some keys are open by the system or my other processes.

Can you tell me what I need to do to get around this Registry Backup problem? 

I look forward to receiving your reply.

Thanks,

Neil Clark.

Report as Abuse
  • Yes
  • No
Was this helpful?
Monday, August 30, 2010 10:19 PM
Windows Live Mechell P.

Originally posted by Neil Clark
Cannot import C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Registry Backup\Backup260910bkup.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry.  Some keys are open by the system or my other processes.

For this error, you need to contact Windows Support via Microsoft Answers Forum link below:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx#tab=4

Thanks,
Mechell P.Report as Abuse

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 2,779 Applies to: