All of my desktop icons are messed up and I cannot open any files on my computer.......Please Help

All of my files have LNK on the end of them and I cannot open anything and all of my desktop symbols are of firefox and when I try to open anything is says either binary file or what do I want firefox to do with this file.....how do I get all of my icons working as their own files again, I mean I can't even defrag my computer.....My 18 month old got a hold of my mouse and keyboard, and I have NO idea what he did, I hope someone can help me!! Thank you

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2019 Views 7,346 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi SDur,

Have you made any recent changes on the system?

Method 1:

I would suggest you to rebuild your icon cache by following the steps below.

Before you start rebuilding your icon cache, I’d suggest you to unhide the system files by visiting the link below.

a. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

b. Click the View tab.

c. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click uncheck the options Hide extension for known file types and Hide protected operating system files (recommended).

d. Click on Apply and Ok.

How to rebuild Icon cache?

a. Click on Start; in the start search, type the following.

Go to C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local folder

b. Delete the hidden IconCache.db file.

Close all the windows and restart the computer.

Method 2:

You may also refer to the following article and check:

When you run an .exe file on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer, the file may start a different program.

Method 3:

You may also refer to the following article to run the Microsoft Safety Scanner and perform a full scan on your computer.

Microsoft Safety Scanner  

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope this information is helpful.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.