Error 0x80070052 The directory or file cannot be created

I am copying photos in the photo gallery from a folder/tag to a scan disk.  I have one file of about 140 photos that will not copy.  The rest have copies with no trouble.   I have created a folder with all of the photos I want to copy.  When they begin the process, all go but the ones from this particular group.  I get the error message above.  Please tell me what I should do, as I have been unsuccessful for the last 1.5 hours at resolving this myself.  Happy New Year!!

Kelly

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2018 Views 73,648 Applies to:
Answer
Chuck Estep said:

Mark,

This is Chuck Estep.  Saw your post and tried the two suggestions.  Still not able to proceed with copying pictures from my c drive to a jump drive.  I've got plenty of space on both devices too.

Got any other suggestions master jedi?

It's likely that the jump drive is formatted with Fat16. I suggest saving whatever files on the jump drive you wamt, and formatting the drive with Fat32 or NTFS. Rightclicking the drive in Explorer should put you there. You are probably seeing something like a format for UFD or Fat (Standard)

http://communities.sandisk.com/sandisk/board/message?board.id=u3&thread.id=3248

Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Mark L. Ferguson (former MVP)

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
My next try at finding out what was happening would be to check the location of the files. A root folder of a drive can only contain so many files, (depending on the file system used, like Fat32 or NTFS). I would count the number of successful files in the root, and see if you are over that, based on the File System restraints. When you rightclick a drive, and Properties, it shows the file system in use for that drive.

Errors Creating Files or Folders in the Root Directory: 
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Mark L. Ferguson (former MVP)

55 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.