Windows Update page failed to load

My Vista Home Premium Windows Update isn't working.  When I click on the Windows Update the error I get is "page fail to load."  Don't know what else I can do.  I tried the fix it link I found in one of the forums and that did not fix the problem.  What else can I check to get this fixed.  I am currently at Service Pack 1.   
Answer
Answer

Everyone, texasgirl here.  I do not have Windows Blind, or any of the other products mentioned.   I did find a fix.  Why the MS guru's monitoring this forum couldn't provide a little assistance in pointing us to their own web page to follow some troubleshooting steps, I don't know.  This Microsoft Forum has let us end users all down in my opinion.  Why have these Forums if the experts can give us some friendly guidance.

First go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366 this link and try a stand alone SP2 update.  This will at least give an error message other than "Page failed to load."  Then attempt step 2, see if the System Readiness Tool will help (this one was a little trickier, seemed like it was stalling and not doing anything the first couple of tries, I had to reboot my pc before attempting a third time and clicking on the installation bar to get it to show progress, and it takes 30 minutes for 1  of 1 update to install).  This did not fix my problem.  But with the error message returned in step 1 we were able to use a non-manufacturer's operating system installation disk using our product key to run setup, then select upgrade to fix the problem.  If you attempt to use your operating system disk that comes with pc this may not allow you to select the upgrade option, mine didn't.  Before you start make sure you have your product key and ensure you do not select install, this probably will wipe out all of your personal files.  This brought my "Windows Update" back to life without having to re-format my hard drive and re-install operating system and drivers and other software (which in my opinion would have been a bigger headache).  I still have some minor "bugs" in my settings to figure out, but I am now able to update all of my microsoft software again, like Windows Media Player.  This one bug kind of broke all Microsoft products on my pc.  Real bummer.

Good Luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
There is a update for windows blinds on impulse just updated and every thing is back to normal
Updating Windows Blinds solved the problem.  Couldn't any info as to what caused it.  Can't remember when I last updated that program, but I know I've updated Defender a lot and this problem appeared right after the last update I did a week ago.  Good to know for the future though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 2, 2018 Views 52,993 Applies to: