Windows Update - .NET Framework 2.0 / Windows Vista Home Premium

I have Windows Vista Home Premium OS.  How do you fix .NET Framework 2.0 so that Windows Update does not fail every time when trying to install "Important" updates related to .NET Framework 2.0?

Notes: a) I have already tried the "FixIt" tool.  b) I have already fixed 1.0, 1.1, 3.0 and 3.5 using the instructions found in the error code commentary (uninstalled and re-installed).

I understand 2.0 is embedded in the Windows Vista Home Premium OS.

.NET Framework 2.0 is the ONLY Windows Update that fails.

Thanks,

Rex Laws

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 1,532 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Windows Community.

From the issue descriptions, it seems that you are unable to install .Net Framework 2.0 in your computer.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will help you in fixing the issue.

To help you to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1. Which Fix It did you try?

2. Do you receive any error code or message?

3. Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to your computer prior to the issue?

4. What is the Knowledge Base (KB) article number of the failed update?

Please follow the below methods and check the issue:

Method 1:

You need to perform a Clean Boot to prevent any conflicting applications from interfering with the installation the Update.

To place the computer in a Clean Boot state, you need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below –

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After the troubleshooting, make sure to boot your computer to normal mode by following these steps.

a.   Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.Collapse this imageExpand this image

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should type the password or click Continue.

b.   On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

c.   When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Method 2:

Error codes “0x80070643” or “0x643” occur when you install the .NET Framework updates:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/  )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Note: After the troubleshooting, make sure to boot your computer to normal mode by following these steps.

a.   Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.Collapse this imageExpand this image

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should type the password or click Continue.

b.   On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

c.   When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to install the update manually from the below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/default.aspx

I hope the above information helps you.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

In future if you come across any issues regarding Windows, please feel free to post your query here on Microsoft Community, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.