Windows Update error code: 80096001

I'm using Windows Vista 32 bit Home Basic

A few weeks ago my computer became infected with what I believe was a rootkit virus.  The Java logo appeared onscreen right after I opened a news site and I could hear my hard drive was very active.  I had AVG Internet Security 2011 running and it was updated.  AVG detected the intrusion, quarantined it but the computer was still infected.  I rebooted in safe mode and did a full system scan with AVG and noticed many files were skipped because they were "locked".  I tried scanning with TDSSKiller and Malwarebytes Anti Malware but both programs would abruptly close a few seconds after I started a scan.  I rebooted in normal mode and tried scanning with TDSS Killer, Malwarebytes and AVG and all 3 programs would close a few seconds after I started a scan and none of them would update.  I noticed the .exe files for Malwarebytes and TDSS had the icon from “User Accounts” in the control panel superimposed in the lower left-hand corner of their icons and I couldn’t rename or delete or move the .exe.  Downloading new programs and renaming them didn’t help.  I loaded my most recent restore point and reinstalled Malwarebytes and TDSS and they both worked and cleared a registry entry but nothing else.  Windows update and AVG both would not update.  I downloaded and installed AVG 2012 in place of 2011 and it works perfectly but I still cannot use Windows Update.  Right after I click “Check for updates” it says “code 80096001”.  I tried every method except method 7 and 11 here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798.  I believe there are still some residual effects of this virus preventing me from using Windows Update.  Maybe it corrupted or removed a crucial file?  Is there some way to uninstall and reinstall Windows Update since that seemed to work for my other programs?  Sorry for the long story but I wanted to be thorough.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 2,206 Applies to:
Answer

Hi adsoyo,

Please see the following article with some troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Hope this helps!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.