Windows Update Continues to re-install the same updates forever and ever. Vista 64 bit

The following updates keep re-installing over and over again; derp-mode initiated.

Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB2810048)

(This is stupid, because I actually have Excel 2007 installed. Then again it's the upgrade from 2003, but why in blessed heaven would I need to update 2003 when it's 2007?)

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760411)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760588)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760583)

What I've already attempted and FAILS (based on suggestions here on these forums.) Rename the SoftwareDistribution file folder This doesn't work and makes matters worse. This sets everything back to 'never' and windows update derps forever trying to "search for updates". I let it run for 40 minutes before I decided I wanted to get on with my life. This DOES NOT WORK. Don't bother trying it.

Uninstall the selected updates, reboot, and try installing them 1 at a time manually. This doesn't work. It doesn't even recognize one of them as being installed. Yes they are all listed in the control panel as installed. Uninstalling them and reinstalling them doesn't do ****.

This is the second time in a year that winblows has derped up its updates and I am not going to reinstall the whole OS all over again like I was forced to last time just because MS is inept at publishing deliverables. There needs to be a better system because it's obvious the current system is flawed and unreliable, especially since it 'breaks' itself. So silly.

Why is my tone so heated? As I mentioned the last time winblow derpdate derped up my system, I was forced to reinstall. I've already blown 5 hours today trying to fix it, I do not desire to blow a week re-installing everything because of some garbage updates to software I rarely use. I'm tired of spending my hours adventuring down ratholes of blind attempts at solving unknown issues that literally have nothing to do with what I need the software to do; which is work.
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/?wa=wsignin1.0 Finally found this, ran this, and reinstalled the updates. The problem is now resolved as after I rebooted, windows update isn't trying to continue to stuff the listed updates down my throat. 6 hours wasted.

Edit:
Ugh never mind. It was fixed and now it's broken again.

That utility DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE.

I am disabling winblows derpdates as it is clearly broken. I'm going to go get on with my life.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the exact same problem with the same updates.

Also on another computer KB2810048 for Office 2003 is doing the exact same thing. This is an update for today as well, obviously this batch of updates has some bugs.  I even did a system restore and same problem afterwards, this is a MS problem. (Multiple computers)

Microsoft please fix the updates for:

2003:

KB2810048

2007:

KB2760411
KB2760588
KB2760583

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Multiple, identical threads here and at other forums.

Same problem for me, as well (Win7/64 with Office 2007).
Postponing attempts to install these on my other 2 rigs (Win7/64 and Win7/32, both with Office 2010), pending a solution from MS.

2 months in a row with bad patches -- they are becoming the rule, rather than the exception.
Most distressing and serving to drive us customers to a different personal computing platform.
("Grass is always greener" not withstanding, I don't have time to waste troubleshooting and trying to fix MS problems.)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760583)

I'm having the same problem, have spent days trying to sort this one out. From various posts it would seem the this has been a problem since XP & Office 2003. High time Microsoft got off the lazy !@#$'s and got this sorted, not just for me, but for everyone. I have tried every suggestion I could find -the end result - it looks like yet another total reinstall from scratch. Thanks Microsoft, this will be the 9th complete reinstall this year [2013] & all due to faulty windows/office updates. Time to get it right for a change Microsoft.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Multiple, identical threads here and at other forums.

Same problem for me, as well (Win7/64 with Office 2007).
Postponing attempts to install these on my other 2 rigs (Win7/64 and Win7/32, both with Office 2010), pending a solution from MS.

2 months in a row with bad patches -- they are becoming the rule, rather than the exception.
Most distressing and serving to drive us customers to a different personal computing platform.
("Grass is always greener" not withstanding, I don't have time to waste troubleshooting and trying to fix MS problems.)

Same issue here. I dual boot Win7 64 on my Mac though, and only need Windows once in a while. Now I can reboot back to OS X, where I have never seen problems like this. Perhaps I will boot back into Windoze in a week or so and see if they've managed to fix this.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since these updates showed that they had successfully installed I simply selected to hide them in Windows update. Problem solved. Update history shows they have been successfully installed (multiple times) and they are no longer offered after being hidden. The KISS method is still alive and well.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue on Windows 8 64 bit (I know, I know, officially Office 2003 is not supported for Windows 8 for some crazy reason, as it worked fine on 7, but I can install it without issue on 8, and it works fine).
So, the KB2810048 is shown as installed three times, AND still wants to be installed again, as it is present as an important update after manually checking.... Unortunatelly I will have to install it few more times, as I'm before installing File Format Converter (that one with compability for Office 2007+ file formats), as this is a fresh Windows installation and I'm establishing everything from a fresh state..
My five last entries in the update history (it's Polish)

Aktualizacja zabezpieczeń produktu Excel 2003 (KB2810048)
Aktualizacja funkcji walidacji plików pakietu Office 2010 (KB2553065), wersja 32-bitowa
Aktualizacja zabezpieczeń produktu Office 2003 (KB2726929)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

.. same trouble on various machines at my place, running w7 x64 :-(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with:

Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB2760583)

What's going on and why isn't anyone connected with microsoft responding?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Computers are complex. They are composed of over 1 billion circuits just on the CPU. And probably a billion elsewhere (not including the billions devoted to memory). There are around 50 million lines of code in Windows (that in powerful high level languages) that equates to several billion low level instructions.

Hardware is designed by computers, who can cope with complexity like this (not very efficiently but brute force and time wins out). Humans do very efficient things but can't cope with complexity in the millions or billions. Software is written by humans with some minor computer help.

These are general repair steps you can take. I know you've run the fixit before but run it again first and last thing. Also try running a repair in Office.

Run Microsoft's Fixit

Microsoft have a range of automatic programs to fix common problems. For Windows Update problems see

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/en-us

For the full list visit

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/en-us

When you choose to download it, choose the option to run on another computer. Then you can save it to your harddisk in a folder. Open the folder, open the folder Fix it Portable, and run Launch Fix It. It will contain all 27 Fixits.

Does that help Windows Update.

System Update Readiness Tool

Also run the System Update Readiness Tool

For 32 bit Windows

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=504

For 64 bit Windows

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1540

To see results click Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy the below line and one blank line underneath and right click in the command prompt window and choose Paste).

notepad %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

Repair and Defrag the Database

Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy and paste by right clicking in the Command Prompt window and choosing Paste).

esentutl.exe /p c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb

esentutl.exe /d c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb

--

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2021 Views 43,650 Applies to: