Windows Update Caused Typing Issues (Jumping cursor...moves my text to another line while typing)

I have had this Laptop (HP Pavillion dv2550se, Vista Home Premium, Intel Centrino) since Jul07, and I absolutely love it.  I have had Dell Inspiron, and IBMs in the past, and this HP is by far my favorite between the 3.  I have had only a couple minor issues with it though, and my first issue started in Nov08.  It was the most aggravating problem too -  the jumping cursor issue while I am typing.  I have the touchpad, and i'm not the type who "accidently" hits the touchpad while typing, so get that out of your head J  I consider myself a fairly experienced computer user, and used to assist in IT support (very light support!!) at a previous job.  I first had this same exact cursor problem in Nov08, and after many restless evenings, it ended up being that the the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (iata86env.exe) driver had to be updated.  It fixed the problem in Nov 08, no more jumping cursor.  YAY!  I was so relieved.  Now, 4 months later, the jumping cursor is back.

The jumping cursor (for lack of a better description) makes your computer automatically click somewhere else on your page.  On internet pages and while i'm typing in ANY program (Outlook, Word, Yahoo Email, etc.)  It will move my cursor/typing randomly to a different paragraph or line and continue with typing my text in that area instead of the line where I was originally typing.  It's the most frustrating thing, because if you're a fast typer like me :)  you don't always need to look at your typing because you type super fast and have minimal typos.  BUT because this thing just decides to occur at random times every 5-10 words or so, you have to constantly "find" where the cursor moved you too (back to the beginning of that sentence or to another paragraph on that page), then delete the text you just added, click back to where you originally were, and start over again.  It's an endless cycle.  A nightmare.

Anyway, fast forward to this week and it started happening again.  I just figured I needed to update the Intel Storage Manager driver again, and so I did to their most current version 8.7.  But this time it didn't fix the issue.  I did every possible driver update and software update you can imagine (Intel's website, HP's website, Windows website, Trend Micro scans, etc).  Spent maybe 12+ hours on this darn thing.  I then saw an Intel support page listing known issues with Vista and Intel Storage Manager (posting was dated like last year or something) and it recommended using an older Intel Storage Manager driver.  So I decided to roll back my updated driver on Intel Storage Manager.  Windows didn't list that as an option on my driver properties (it was greyed out), so I went to intel's page to find the previous driver that I installed in Nov (iata86env.exe) and they didn't even have that one listed.  Anyway, so I used the restore point vista created a couple days ago from when I updated my Intel Storage Manager Driver, and that still didn't correct the issue.

I ONLY finally corrected this week’s issue when I ROLLED back to my restore point created just PRIOR TO WINDOWS LAST AUTOMATIC UPDATE on 2/28/09.  I then disabled my automatic windows updates preventing future downloads and updates.  I would like to stay current with my windows updates though but am not interested in going through the jumping cursor problem again.  Does anyone know what was specifically updated with windows update on or around 2/28/09 that would cause this issue?  I’m not willing to do future Windows updates until I know this can be resolved.

Thanks so much!!

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2019 Views 220,889 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I don't know if this will help anybody, but so far so good with me.  My husband just reinstalled vista after wiping my hard drive.  I have a dell inspiron 1501 laptop that's always worked just fine until this weekend when we reinstalled the vista.  Now i've had the cursor thing going too and it's driving me nuts!  I just found this online at another site.  Tried it and it's working.  Nothing's jumped in the last two emails I've typed or this message!

- also, try Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options -> and uncheck "hide pointer while typing"

What I did was go there and uncheck everything in a box.  Now we seem back to normal!

Hope it helps!

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi ang0620k,

Since you have a good restore point to return to, you could try loading the updates one at a time and reboot between each one.  That would identify the culprit.  Do a custom install with Windows update and it will list what is pending.  Also keep an eye out for driver updates that may be trying come down also.

Brent
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.