Vista OS - Configuring Updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete. Do not turn off your computer.

My ACER Aspire 5610 laptop has been in a configuration update loop for three days now.  Do not have Vista installation CD as vendor did installation  .  Have tried all safe mode restarts without success.  Display is still in the unending stage 3 of 3 loop.  Any ideas to fix/repair or  recover 160GB hard drive data which I need to keep?

Question Info

Last updated January 20, 2020 Views 29,570 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I want to thank everyone for informative help and kind advice.  After a couple of days (of frustration for me) and your continuing encouragement, I finally have defeated that 'endless loop.'

What worked for me was the neosmart.net download to a properly working CD/DVD burner.  I initially tried using my old desktop CD drive, but I forgot it was a read-only device and wouldn't be able to burn a copy of the recovry CD.  I found a working DVD burner to copy the neosmart.net download correctly.

It took several cold boots on the laptop with the recovery CD together with a "shift F6"  followed quickly by "any key" to access the needed restore menu.

I noticed on Google that this "Configuring Updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete." has been affecting Vista since 2008.  It's almost 2012 and this is still causing problems? 

Happy Thanksgiving America !

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.