Question

Q: Windows Mail and Set Associations Control Panel

I've received an email with a .pdf attachment.  It was opened when initially received without a problem.  However, on trying to open it again a message appears saying "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.  Create an association in the Set Associations control panel".

The help menu doesn't appear to have any reference to this term and I'm only guessing that I need to go to default programs and associate a file type with a program,  which I've tried without success.

I saved the .pdf file to the c: drive and have opened it via Explore by simply double clicking on the file name with no problems.  I've also gone to Expore and opened it by doing a right click, open with, and selecting Adobe Reader and ticking the box to always open this type of file with this program.  I've tried doing a restart afterwards, but emails with .pdf attachments still wont's open and instead come up with the aforementioned error message.

Any help will ge gratefully appreciated.  Cheers.

Answer

A:

Try this:

Removing .PDF file type association
  • Download unassoc.zip and save it to Desktop
  • NOTE: The file above is kinda hard to find. It's in between a couple ad's look for orange letters that say "attachments".  
  • Extract the contents to a folder and run the file unassoc.exe
  • Select .PDF from the list and click Delete file type
  • The file type association for .PDF is now removed.
Repairing Adobe Acrobat Reader
  • Right-click on the Adobe Reader shortcut and click Run as administrator.
  • From the Help menu in Adobe Reader, click Repair Adobe Reader Installation.

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80
MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 23,973 Last updated: March 26, 2018 Applies to: