Windows installer keeps running.

The Windows installer keeps running whenever I do any kind of explorer activity or launch an Office application.  I am running Office XP on Vista Home Premium and it used to run fine, until i reloaded my PC.  I installed the Vista service packs prior to re-installing all of my programs and that's when this problem began.  All other programs work fine.  I have admin rights on the account I am using and have UAC turneed off.  I have all Windows updates installed.  Doesn't matter if I launch the program first or launch a document to open the program.  I always get the message that wimndows is installing office and then configuring it.  Any ideas??Windows installer keeps running
|
Answer
Answer

Hi smlandau1,

Does this happen only when you try opening Office XP?

You may try the following steps and check whether you can resolve the issue.

Step 1: Start the Windows Installer service

1. Click Start, type Services.mscin Start Search and press ENTER.

2.Double-click Windows Installer

3.Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to Manual

4.Click Start to start the service.

Step 2: You may also try the following stepsReregister Windows Installer and check if it helps

a. ClickStart, type %windir%\system32\msiexec /unregserver in the Start Search box, and then pressENTER.  

b. Type%windir%\system32\msiexec /regserver , and then pressENTER.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

Step 3: Upgrade the windows installer.

You may refer the following link to download the latest version of windows installer click on the link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha. K.
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 15, 2021 Views 14,176 Applies to: