Unable to Create Restore Point. Time-Out Error

For several weeks, I've not been able to create a restore point (I do this religiously, in view of the instability of Windows). When I try to set up a restore point (I give it a name (like friday night),  I always get the "establishing a restore point" pop-up. It runs for ten minutes or so, followed by a second pop-up, always the same:
"Cabnnot create a restore point: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. (Try the operation Again).
 (Error code  0x81000101). Please Try Again."

Well, it just cant be done.

Can someone help? This is a first for me on any of my xp and vista pc's.

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2019 Views 6,992 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am having some of the same problems with both system restore and file backup. I can not create a restore point because my computer can't find my system disk (C:drive) as an "available disk". All it does is search continually for an "available disk" but never finds it. My file backup will run normally for 2-3 minutes and then freeze up, and never finishes the process. I'm sure I don't have any viruses. Very discouraging.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

For several weeks, I've not been able to create a restore point (I do this religiously, in view of the instability of Windows). When I try to set up a restore point (I give it a name (like friday night),  I always get the "establishing a restore point" pop-up. It runs for ten minutes or so, followed by a second pop-up, always the same:
"Cabnnot create a restore point: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. (Try the operation Again).
 (Error code  0x81000101). Please Try Again."

Well, it just cant be done.

Can someone help? This is a first for me on any of my xp and vista pc's.
Same problem. Restore and Backup used to work but after some time in June neither work. I have Vista Home Premium. Most worryingly i cannot set a restore point and thus am loathe to update to Vista SP2 as the last time i tried it disabled my optical SPDIF and i could not find a solution to this. Error is "0x81000101 The creation of a shadow copy has timed out". This seems to be cropping up on the web a fair bit now - what does it take to get a reply from a Microsoft person who is actually paid to deal with the quality of their software rather than us naive users?

Sorry this didn't help.

It takes a lot.  Those people I think enjoy long vacations.

Someone in another forum has suggested turning off System protection for all drives (turn off System Restore) completely.  Delete any existing restore points (clear them all out).  Then reboot, and turn it back on... it should work normally after that.  Care to give it a try and see if this theory works?

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Sorry this didn't help.

It does't work for me...
This happened soon after installing Norton Ghost 15, so other backup programs may be the culprit here. 
There's a lot of noise in the Symantec forums about this error.

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Sorry this didn't help.

It does't work for me...
This happened soon after installing Norton Ghost 15, so other backup programs may be the culprit here. 

P.S. Running Windows 7 64bit.

Sorry this didn't help.

It does't work for me...

P.S. Running Windows 7 64bit.

Strangely, I turned off system restore for all drives but did not turn it back on again. 

I then attempted another backup which worked.

I will turn the system restore back on after the backup and then attempt another backup to see if the backups I make remain successful with system restore tuned on.

Sorry this didn't help.

Feedback.

Simply put, you cannot perform Norton Ghost 15backups and Windows Backups on the same machine at the same time.
I have a reproducible case whereby every time I perform a NG15 backup,it causes the above error. The workaround to fix the error is to stop all the Symantec services,  disable system restore,  run a full Windows backup, and turn system restore back on again. Either de-insall or leave NG15 out of the picture until they resolve this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

it does not work for me completely! Whenever i try to open the system restore to whether turn it on/off its when that message comes..... the directory/file is not a reparse point: (0X80071126) I need more help!

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually tried Shawn's response from 1/19/10, and got no help. I'm still left with no ability what so ever to create a Restore Point on my Vista Ultimate SP2 system. So, I am currently sitting with none at all. I have updates that won't load, and I have programs I'd like to get rid of, but can't because System Restore isn't working. 

I did try an SFC/scannow in command prompt to see if any system files were corrupt, but that will only go as far as, "Verification 100% complete", and then just sits there. (?)

Are there any other suggestions for this problem? 

Thanks, Odean

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually tried Shawn's response from 1/19/10, and got no help. I'm still left with no ability what so ever to create a Restore Point on my Vista Ultimate SP2 system. So, I am currently sitting with none at all. I have updates that won't load, and I have programs I'd like to get rid of, but can't because System Restore isn't working. 

I did try an SFC/scannow in command prompt to see if any system files were corrupt, but that will only go as far as, "Verification 100% complete", and then just sits there. (?)

Are there any other suggestions for this problem? 

Thanks, Odean

1) Run a scan/checkdisk of all your drives, reboot and run the checks at the next startup if prompted. Do this for all disks.
2) Try and see if you can run a full Windows Image backup for all drives.... If this completes successfully, you may have fixed the problem.
3) Try resizing your shadowstorage on each volume to 0 and then to around 60GB for each volume...
    c:\ vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=0
    c:\ vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=60G     (60GB ??)
4) If that doesn't work, turn off system restore for ALL drives, try and run a full system image backup for all drives. Turn system restore on and see if you can create restore points
5) Run a full virus/trojan/malware scan of all volumes, you may have some malware in one of the restore points and anti-virus software is interfering in the restore point management.
6) Your last option may be to take a full image backup of your entire system , reformat the drives and re-install. This should re-initialise the volume system information folder(s)...

This error is a real pain. Sorry to hear you have the same problem I had. (P.S. Deactivate any 3rd party backup software , either remove it or stop their services and startups)

Sorry this didn't help.