System restore won't work because of 'disk errors' that aren't actually present

For a long time now (after some program installation that I have long forgotten) I have been unable to use system restore.  Whenever I try, I get to the point of choosing the restore point, and then I get the message that the restore operation cannot proceed because the disk has errors.  I then get a box that has a button to click on to check the disk, but it says that I can't check the disk that I am currently using.  My computer for some reason goes through a 'check disk for errors' every time I start it up (if I don't hit any key in 5 seconds), but no matter how many times it checks the disks, it always says the disks are OK, no problems found... but then during restore I get the message that I have disk errors.

I was able to get to some sony program on my laptop that allowed me to do a system restore directly with--  out using the windows operation;  it again said that the disk had errors and couldn't be restored.  Then I inserted the system backup install disk and used that as a start-up, and tried system restore again-- I again got the message that the disk had errors.  At least this time I was able to click on the check disk button and also on the 'automatically fix errors'... that ended up saying that the disk had no problems, but when I again tried system restore I got the same message-- it couln't be restored because of disk errors.  Help!  I really want to use restore-- mainly because for some reason every time I try to install i-tunes it says 'error-- no disc D' .  I am trying to install it on disc C, so I don't know why that is happening... I don't even have a disc D!  So I want to restore the system to back when I was able to install i-tunes.

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2018 Views 14,916 Applies to:
Answer
Hello suboxdoc,

Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Vista Forums.

Sorry you are having a problem with this!  Have you tried to perform a System Restore in Safe Mode?  I have added a some steps below, please let us know status.  Thanks!

How to boot your system into Safe Mode

1.     Restart your computer if it is powered on.

2.     Tap the F8 key after your computer initially powers on.

3.     Once you see the Advanced Boot Options menu you can stop tapping.

4.     Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight your selection.

5.     Select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter.

6.     You should see drivers loading, and then Please wait.

7.     You should then be at the Welcome Screen.

8.     Logon to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.

Running the System Restore utility…

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.     Click Continue or provide Administrator credentials if necessary.

3.     Click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.

4.     Select a Date and Time prior to first sign of the issue you’ve described.

5.     If the date you need is in excess of (5) days click the Show restore points older than 5 days check box.

Important Notice: That System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. Thus, any recently installed programs, updates, or changes to configuration will be lost if you use System Restore. However, make note that System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file.

If still no luck try steps  below.

1.    Try “Last Known Good Configuration”

=========================

a. Restart your computer and keep pressing F8.

b. Choose “Last Known Good Configuration”.

c. Perform the System Restore again and see how it works.

2.    This issue may be caused by virus or malware. If the above doesn’t work, try to conduct a full system virus scan in safe mode.

=======================

Note: please ensure the anti-virus software is up-to-date.

a. Restart your computer and keep pressing press F8.

b. Choose “Safe Mode”.

c. Clear all cookies and unnecessary files using Disk Cleanup.

d. Use your anti-virus (or anti-spyware, anti-malware, etc.) software to scan the whole disk.

e. After scanning, please boot the computer to Normal Mode and perform System Restore again.

If your antivirus software cannot work in Safe Mode, please perform the scan in Normal Mode.

James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.