Quicken Program Won't Open

I have been a Quicken user for many years.  Two weeks ago, the Quicken 2007 program stopped opening and I got the error message "Quicken launcher has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  Yesterday, I updated to the Quicken 2009 program but still get the same error message.

I am able to open the Quicken 2009 program and data file as a different administrative user on the same computer, but I am the primary computer user and have administrative privileges.  It seems like there must be something wrong with my user profile or administrative privileges.

Please help!

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2019 Views 26,668 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Cindy-S,

Thank you for posting on the forums.

Sorry to hear about the problems that you’re running into. You might have some programs running in the background of Vista that’s conflicting with your Quicken. I’m going to provide with instructions on how to clean boot your machine first.  I’ll also provide you with a link on how to fix your profile.  You might also need to reinstall your Quicken 2009 so please have you’re media and product key to reinstall it.

Let's try clean booting the system to remove 3rd party software and see if that clears up the problem.

Follow the steps below to place your computer in “clean boot” 

·         Click the Start orb on your Desktop

·         Type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 

·         On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

·         Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box

·         Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All

·         Click OK

When you are prompted, click Restart. 

Now try your Quicken, are you still getting the same error? This will also be the best time to uninstall and reinstall Quicken if you’re still getting the error message.

Now if clean booting your machine did resolve the issue, then see the following Microsoft Article on “Clean boot” and the section “How to determine what is causing the problem” to determine which program or service maybe causing the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

How to set your computer back, to boot normal:

·         Click the Start orb on your Desktop

·         In the Start Search box. Type msconfig, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 
Click the General tab. 

·         Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK

·         When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

If that doesn’t work , here’s a link on how to

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx

Hope that will do the trick for you. Please post back and let us know your results.

JohnD
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
JohnD

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.