Question

Q: Problems sending mail in Windows Live Mail (and Windows Mail)

Hi,

I've had a go at a few of the solutions I've seen for this problem but have had no luck yet, I wonder if I'm missing a trick?

So, I can receive e-mails no problem (in both Windows Live Mail and Windows Mail), but have had no success sending (although I can still send mail when I access my account online).

The fixes I've tried so far are:

- gone through my account settings and ensured they are as specified by my email provider (I have an ntlworld account). i.e POP3 and SMTP settings should be correct.

-next I tried ticking the "my server requires authentication" box (didn't work)
- then I tried completely disabling my firewall/anti-virus/e-mail protection (ZoneAlarm) which has also not worked
- then I tried installing an update of sorts for Windows Mail (not Live Mail) (found on a communities board, sorry can't remember which one, but it was an official microsoft update)..and that didn't work
-finally I tried installing Windows Live Mail.....and yes you guessed it, that didn't work either (I have also checked settings etc)

.......I'm asking myself why things have to be so difficult?

Can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong!?

This is the error message I'm getting:

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'Test'
Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10060
--
Many thanks
Mark

Answer

A:

To fix the sending (from home) problem once and for all, you need to substitute the Orange SMTP server for smtp.ntlworld.com. What I don't know is whether Orange will allow you to keep your NTL return address when sending from Windows Mail. It is worth a try.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Another community answer from the Windows Vista newsgroups 

Theresa

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 21,466 Last updated: July 13, 2018 Applies to: