Q: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error opening PDF files This thread is locked from future replies

I am on Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have a problem trying to open PDF files either on my hard drive or via IE.  The error message I get says: 

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.2 from the internet several times, but I am still get the error.  The PDF file will open, then this error box pops up, and I have to click OK which causes it to close the PDF.

This is known issue with Acrobat for several versions now, Adobe's current fix is just to update their software:

The problem is with the application data being misdirected. 
"The affected user has a redirected Application Data folder and as a result the network path containing the Application Data uses a UNC path that begins with \\. This UNC path causes Acrobat 9.0 or Adobe Reader 9.0 to incorrectly parse the Application Data path and give the error message."

A potential Solution would be to go into the registry. Left Click type "regedit" and right click and run the program with "run as administrator". Go to Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders and make sure see where "AppData" is pointing. If it is pointing to "%UserProfile%/Application Data" change it to point to "%UserProfile%/AppData/Roaming".

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 114,886 Last updated: March 19, 2018 Applies to: