Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error opening PDF files

I am on Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have a problem trying to open PDF files either on my hard drive or via IE.  The error message I get says: 

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.2 from the internet several times, but I am still get the error.  The PDF file will open, then this error box pops up, and I have to click OK which causes it to close the PDF.

HELP!

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2018 Views 115,601 Applies to:
Answer
Hi,

This is known issue with Acrobat for several versions now, Adobe's current fix is just to update their software: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.html

The problem is with the application data being misdirected. 
"The affected user has a redirected Application Data folder and as a result the network path containing the Application Data uses a UNC path that begins with \\. This UNC path causes Acrobat 9.0 or Adobe Reader 9.0 to incorrectly parse the Application Data path and give the error message."

A potential Solution would be to go into the registry. Left Click type "regedit" and right click and run the program with "run as administrator". Go to Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders and make sure see where "AppData" is pointing. If it is pointing to "%UserProfile%/Application Data" change it to point to "%UserProfile%/AppData/Roaming".

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.