Mail icon missing from Control Panel, what is the file name?

I have Windows Vista SP1 (x64) and for some reason the Mail icon doesn't appear in my Control Panel.

I need it to create an e-mail account to connect to the work Exchange server, and Outlook requires that I do this from the Mail control panel applet while Outlook isn't running. 

Outlook's error message says it can't be done within Outlook e-mail account settings when I try from Outlook.

To be clear this isn't for Windows Mail. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Mike

P.S. Of course all my other computers have the mail icon showing up in the Control panel, just not my main one :)! 

|
Answer
Answer

Thanks guys, I got things working! :)

Solution:
1. I did open the Default Programs utility and set Outlook as the default mail program.  I'm not sure that really helped though.

2. I did find the View 32-bit Control Panel Items icon/utility in the Control panel and clicking that revealed (and I mean revealed!) the Mail icon.

Some Notes:
1. I wasn't able to open the Mail utility using control mlcfg32.cpl or control mlcfg64.cpl method.  Neither from the Run box or command window.
2. In Control Panel the View menu didn't ever show the "Veiw 32 Bit Control Panel Items", it was just an icon buried in the list of control panel applets.
3. This 32 bit Control panel items just seems to be a little bucket of 4 control panel applets they brought forward, but made difficult to discover.
4. Outlook prefers that you make the Exchange account your default account.  This wasn't the case for me, but I can easily select the Account from which to send an e-mail when I'm creating a new e-mail message.  I tested that and it did work.

All is good the ends good I guess, I'm up and running now.

-Mike

68 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2020 Views 166,737 Applies to: