Insufficient disk space error when trying to install AOL 9.0 VR

Hi,

I'm trying to install AOL 9.0 VR on a Dell laptop PC.  I have already done so on a virtually identical Dell laptop without any problems but when I try to install the AOL 9.0 VR software I get a "there is insufficient hard disk space to install this application.  Free up some disk space and retry the installation" Windows Vista message.  This computer is brand new and has about 185 GB free disk space, so there is clearly enough space to install AOL 9.0 VR.  I have installed other applications, such as Norton Internat Security on the same machine without any problem.  I have tried installing the AOL software from an installation disk and from several downloads, including the version that installed successfully on my other Dell laptop.  I have also tried to install the software in safe mode and got the same error.  Does anyone know of a way around this please?

regards

Pete

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 1,270 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Petesub,

Welcome to Microsoft answers!

To resolve this problem, follow the methods listed below. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

Method 1: Remove earlier versions of the program, and then install the latest version.

1. Click Start, and select 'Control Panel'.
2. Select 'Programs and Features'.
3. In the Currently installed programs list, determine whether an existing version of AOL is listed.
4. If an existing version of the program is listed, right click the program entry, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions to remove the software. 
5. If you are prompted, restart the computer.

Try installing and check if that fixes the issue.

Method 2: Run the Windows Installer CleanUp utility

You can use the Windows Installer CleanUp utility to remove installation information for programs that are installed by using Windows Installer.

Note The Windows Installer CleanUp utility does not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it removes the installation files so that you can install, uninstall, or upgrade the program. For more information about how to download and use the Windows Install CleanUp utility, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Refer the link below for more details on Windows Installer Cleanup utility tool and to download the same:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing Windows Installer Cleanup Utility,

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Install Clean Up. 
2. Select the program that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
3. Click OK, and then click Exit. 
4. Try again to install the software. 

Method 3:

Put your computer in a clean boot state and try installing the program and check if you’re successfully able to install the same.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may go ahead and disable or uninstall the same.

Follow the below steps to put your computer in clean boot state:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

The above steps would put the computer in clean boot state. You may try and install the program now and check what happens.

Refer the link below for more details:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After you’ve finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
3. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Method 4:

To clear the temporary file folder, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type %temp% in the Start Search box, and then click Temp in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 

2. On the Edit menu, click Select All.
3. On the File menu, click Delete.
4. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Once the temporary files are deleted, try re-installing the program and check if you can install the same without any errors.

You may also refer the link below to delete unwanted files:

Delete files using Disk Cleanup
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

If none of the methods solve the issue, I’d suggest you to contact AOL.

Here’s the link for more information:

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Gokul - Microsoft Support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.