I get a French E instead of a question mark.

Somewhere along the way sometimes I hit a wrong button and I start getting a French E instead of ? mark. What am I hitting wrong and how do I fix it without restarting the computer like I've done in the past.
|
Answer
Answer

Hi Saffyre62,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Community site. I would suggest you try out the options below:

Run intl.cpl, go to the Keyboards and Languages tab -> Change Keyboards. Then click on the Language Bar tab and choose Floating on Desktop

You should now see a keyboard menu pop up. Now go to say, Microsoft Word, and press CTRL-SHIFT. You'll see the keyboard menu change text. Keep pressing CTRL-SHIFT and you'll see it cycle through all the available keyboard configurations. Say it cycles from "US" to "Canadian French" to "Canadian Multilingual Standard".

Just keep it as US - it's one of the ways where you don’t get French characters while typing.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to use this option:

Run intl.cpl, go to the Keyboards and Languages tab -> Change Keyboards. Select the keyboard you that's causing you grief and choose Remove.

If you don't remove the keyboard map, when this switch happens, you'll have to exit the application you're in (Outlook, for example), change keyboards, and restart the app. Changing keyboards without restarting the app doesn't seem to change the mapping.

Let me know if that work. Good luck!

Hope this information is helpful.

Thanks and Regards,

Vijay KKS

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2021 Views 20,830 Applies to: