Frontpage 1998

I created a very primative & basic website back around 1998 using Microsoft FrontPage 1998. The website has never been updated since then and recently we had to throw away the computer that the files for the site were saved on. Using a more modern computer now, I want to update the site-- however, my newer computer (only using Microsoft Office 2003) will not download the '98 FrontPage Software. When I insert the CD, I get an error message saying that the FrontPage start-up cannot be started because of "error number 5".  I have no clue to what this error means. Furthermore, I just want to be able to redownload the site using FrontPage so I can make basic edits. I eventually intend on bumping the quality up in the near future. 

So basically, the questions are: 1.) What is the problem not allowing me to redownload this program on my newer computer? 2.) What is error number 5? 3.) Is there another way that I can download my old website so it can be updated?

Thank you. I do appreciate the help!

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 1,126 Applies to:
Answer
Error 5 generally means access Denied.  I doubt that program will even work on Vista.
You can try though, access the CD through windows explorer and right click on the setup.exe file and click on run as administrator, you may even have to right click on it and choose compatibility and tell it to run under XP SP2

good luck

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.