File Associations - Run as administrator? Windows 7!

Is there a way to have a program open files by association without running as administrator? Seems a bit of a security risk to give a program admin priveledges just so it can open files?

If you set it as the default for a program it says its done it but the association never gets created. Should'nt it provide a warning saying 'A file cannot be associated with this program unless it has admin priveledges'

I tried a few times to get Foxit PDF reader to be default till I realised what was gong on and I was a bit annoyed by then!

Is there a way to have a program be the default without giving it admin priveledge?

Question Info

Last updated July 19, 2019 Views 5,508 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi FruitBatInShades,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum.

If a program does not have any administer privileges set as default then user can access it without any administer privileges.

I would suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps for creating the association and let us know the results:

1. Click Start. From settings open the Control Panel. Switch to classic view.
  2. Click on the Default Programs icon.
  3. Click on the Associate a file type or protocol with a program link.
  4. Click on the file extension type you want to change the association for what .exe program opens it.
    NOTE: It may take a moment to load up.
  5. Click on the Change Program button.
  6. If listed, select the program you want to be associated with (opens) the file extension. 

A.      Check the Always use the selected program to open this kind of program box and click OK.

1. If the program is not listed, then click the Browse button and navigate to the .exe of the program you want as the default to open the file extension.

A.      Select the program.

B.      Click on the Open button.

C.      Check the Always use the selected program to open this kind of program box and click on OK to apply.

Thanks,
Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.