Dell's DataSafe Local Backup problem... can't uninstall it.

I have seen several good posts regarding Dell's DataSafe Online, but none were able to help me with my problem. On this laptop, Dell's DataSafe Local Backup is running. It kept popping up messages asking to update and was annoying. I decided to uninstall it from the Control Panel since I don't use it anyway.  It got to some point in the uninstall and just froze up.

The icon still shows up in the System Tray, and is still listed in the programs to uninstall in the Control Panel.  I have spoken with Dell twice now, just to make sure what they are telling me is consistent and hopefully accurate. They said that the software cannot be uninstalled because it is needed in the event the system has to be restored to factory settings using the image that is on a separate partition.

It appears that the software is only partially uninstalled.  They tell me that the only way to get the software back on the machine is to do a restore to factory settings.  They said that I should have merely disabled the software in msconfig. The problem I have with that is that if they need the software to remain on the machine, then they should have the OS not display it as a removeable piece of software.

Now when the computer boots up to the Vista interface and desktop, there is an error message saying that it couldn't start DataSafe.  Rather than restore this machine to as it was from the factory and have to backup all my files and reinstall all the other software, does anyone know of a way to simply remove the software?  They have told me that by using the F8 key at bootup and selecting to repair the system, that the last option in the list is to restore to factory settings using DataSafe, and that even if the software has been partially uninstalled, that it should work.  I would prefer just to remove the portion of the DataSafe software that is used from the desktop.  Any ideas anyone?

Answer
Answer

Hi,

To remove the software completely from the computer try the below given steps.

Method 1:

Step 1

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

“Back up registry”: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Delete the game entries from Registry.

a)      Go to start and type regedit.exe.

b)      Browse to the below given location and delete the folder

Location: HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run 

c)      Delete any dell backup software related entry from here

Step 2

Also disable the service related to the software from the Services window.

a)      In the Start Search box type ‘Services’

b)      Search for any service related to Dell DataSafe backup

c)      Right click on the service, select Properties

d)      Select Disabled under startup type

e)      Restart the computer and check if that helps.

Method 2:

Step 1:

a)      Delete the game folder from Program Files.

b)      Delete the game folder from Common Files.

Step 2:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

“Back up registry”: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Delete the program entries from Registry.

a)      Go to start and type regedit.exe.

b)      Browse to the below given location and delete the folder

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Dell DataSafe

Note:If ever in future you want to get back the software you will have to follow the suggestion given by the Dell support to restore your computer to the factory settings.

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2020 Views 67,411 Applies to: