Create an association in the Set Associations control panel message with PPS attachments in Windows Mail

When I originally got this computer I inadvertantly installed a trial offer for a Microsoft Office Student/Home program.  When the initial trial period ended I started receiving messages about purchasing the program whenever I tried to open certain attachments to Windows Mail.  Yesterday I noticed a line in the message about uninstalling the program which I did.  Since then I have not been able to open .pps attachments in Windows Mail.  I can save them and open them using Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007.  I have tried going to the Set Associations control panel but the .pps extension is not listed.  I have gone to regedit and changed the Power Point viewer from "show" to "open".  I have tried everything.  It must be related to my uninstalling that program yesterday.  How can I fix this? 
Answer
Answer

Hello linalex43,

Look at the article here. It should help to open your .pps files. You will need to make a registry change using the article. I would make a backup of the registry before continuing.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/unable-to-open-pps-ppt-from-windows-mail-or-wlm/

NOTE: Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

You can also set your associations back to default.
To reset default associations:
Open control panel and select view by: Small icon
Click “Default Programs”
Click “Set your default programs”.
From the left column, select the program that you want to change it’s default file associations for.
Now click “Choose default for this program”. Check the extensions that you want to associate as default files for this program.
Click “Save” button.

If all of the default file associations are set to Word, then change them to the appropriate program.

Please let us know if this helped to resolve your issue or if you still need assistance.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 4,573 Applies to: