Question

Q: computer wont let me install norton system works keep getting error message 9999,17x

my computer wont allow me to install norton system works ive already contacted norton had a virus removal service carried out restored my computer to its factory settings but still to no avail my computer wont accept it and norton cannot fix the problem

Answer

A:

Hi janine moore,  

Thank you for posting on the Microsoft Answers Community Forums. 

Even after restoring the operating system to factory settings you get an error during installing Norton, it means it has some compatibility issues with the version of the OS. 

Which version of Vista is it; specify 64 bit or 32 bit?
Is the software compatible with Vista?
What phase of installation do you get this error?
Have you installed all windows updates and then tried installing Norton? 

I would suggest installing Norton before you install any other application and that would rule out chances of other application interference.  

If it still doesn’t work the best people to contact is Norton. You can check with their forums. I also have a link that talks about the same error from Norton. See if this works 

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/custserv.nsf/docid/2008022705163546?Open&src=_mi&docid=2007082908475279&nsf=norton2008.nsf&view=docid&seg=hho&pid=2005070717173313&pkb=sharedtech

THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE DISCLAIMER
Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk. 

Hope the above information helps. 

Regards.
Sharath Govindappa
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumhttp://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/  and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 838 Last updated: March 26, 2018 Applies to: