Can't send emails using Windows Mail because it keeps asking for username and password for mail server

All of a sudden whenever I try to send an email using windows mail I get a popup window asking for user name and password for the mail server.   It's a Windows Security pop up window.   The only change I made was I changed interner service providers form Comcast to Verizon.   Verizon can't figure it out.  Can someone please help me.  Thanks Michelle

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Go to Tools / Accounts / Click on your email account and click on Properties and then go to the Servers Tab.  Near the bottom, check the box that says for Outgoing Mail Server My Server Requires Authentication and click on Settings and then input your username and password and check Remember Password.  I don't know whether or not to check the Logon Using Secure Password Authentication Box (perhaps Verizon can tell you or you can try it both ways).  Once this is set, you shouldn't be prompted anymore because it will have the required information.  I'm surprised Verizon didn't have you check this (assuming it works - it's just a guess on my part based on the problem you're having).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

All of a sudden whenever I try to send an email using windows mail I get a popup window asking for user name and password for the mail server.   It's a Windows Security pop up window.   The only change I made was I changed interner service providers form Comcast to Verizon.   Verizon can't figure it out.  Can someone please help me.  Thanks Michelle

Compare your Verizon account settings you had entered in Windows Mail with the following link :
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4964
Use the first one which says Outlook Exprees. It is ok. Both OE and Windows Mail use the same settings.
No, do not put a checkmark on " Log on using secure password authentication ".
But MAKE SURE " My server requires authentication " is checked.
Make sure you also put a checkmark on " Remember Password ".

The settings may not have anything to do in this case. The error message you mentioned usually relate to your AV ( anti-virus ) program.
Check if your AV has e-mail scanning option, and if yes, is it enabled. Disable the e-mail scanning option.

t-4-2

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lorien

I have tried that and it still does not work.   Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have removed my McAfee Virus software and I still keep getting this popup.   I can receive emails but I can't send emails.   I am at my wits end.   Any other suggestions.   I have removed my email account and set it up again...that did not work.  Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Michelle N,

If you were able to send mail before changing your setting, then it seems that you have a configuration error somewhere.

Delete all the entries and re-enter them again. You might have a space somewhere that is causing a problem.
Be sure you have the correct spelling and name entered.

• Incoming mail server (POP3):incoming.verizon.net
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP):outgoing.verizon.net

You may need to check with Verizon to see if you need to change the port settings.
    Can you send email using Verizon webmail?

Please reply back with an update.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
  • Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have removed my McAfee Virus software and I still keep getting this popup.   I can receive emails but I can't send emails.   I am at my wits end.   Any other suggestions.   I have removed my email account and set it up again...that did not work.  Thanks

If you cannot send e-mails out, you should have an error message. Post that in its entirety..... verbatim.
    IF you don't have a copy, send a test message to yourself to the same address.
    Now copy/paste that error message.
    Can't help you further without seeing the error message.

t-4-2

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Marilyn My incoming emails from work so the incoming pop is a work a work address. My emails come in fine BUT I can't send emails. Windows security pop up comes up asking for the user name and password for the server. Since we can't send emails would that pop up be asking information for the Verizon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has no one figured this out yet? Mine is doing it too. I sent an email last night, but now that keeps popping up. It did it to me at the end of July, too, but I don't know what I did to get it working again. It isn't like I went in and screwed around with my settings at all, and I'm sure you didn't, either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you cannot send e-mails out, you should have an error message. Post that in its entirety..... verbatim.
    IF you don't have a copy, send a test message to yourself to the same address.
    Now copy/paste that error message.
    Can't help you further without seeing the error message.

t-4-2

The error message says absolutely nothing. It once in a while pops up the Live Mail error screen, but it is blank.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

my partner started getting the same problem this morning ,tried several things as above ,no deal . only the request for name/password when sending mail and sometimes on starting the email program . finally went into email /tools/accounts and checked through each of them , it turns out that under the properties of one of the accounts (not default) under server,at the bottom of the page there is a small box (ticked) my server requires authentication . next to this is a button (SETTINGS) it was set to "log on using" and remember password was ticked . but bothe the username and passwords fields were blank. I restored the setting to "use the same settings as my incoming mail server" , and Voila !!! its working again .

problem only arose this morning after downloading several microsoft updates ,(I dont update automatically ) and some of the updates were from as far back as july.

mayby a different cure , and may not work in all cases ,but worth a try I am sure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2023 Views 14,653 Applies to: