Can't install Dell DataSafe Local Backup under Vista

I have acquired a used Dell Inspiron 530 desktop computer.
I did not receive any installation DVDs with the computer.
The computer has Vista SP1 installed.  I would like to do a complete restore back to factory.
There is restore partition on the disk drive.  The restore partition appears to be intact, including a Factory.wim file.
I have not been able to launch the restore feature.  I have tried both the “outside of window” and the “inside of windows” methods described on various pages.

I have booted the computer with F8 to get to “Advanced Boot Options”.  I select “Repair Your Computer” from the list.
The “System Recovery Options” screen appears. Options include  

Startup Repair
System Restore
System Image Recovery
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Command Prompt

There is no listing for
‘Windows Complete PC Restore’ or ‘Dell Factory Image Restore”
In other word, no way to do a factory restore.

Within Vista, DataSafe Local Backup does not appear in programs list.  It does not appears to be installed on the computer.

Dell makes DataSafeLocalBackup_Basic.exe available for download, at this site:
http://dslbdownload.datasafelocalbackup.com/dsldownload-en.html
When I try to install it, it stops with an error which says “Dell DataSafe Local Backup can only be installed on systems running Windows 7".

Is there a previous version of “DataSafe Local Backup” that runs under Vista?   
Is it available for download?
Is there some other way to access the restore partition and set Vista back to factory?

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 798 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

One more time Bill:

I have been working on this more, and I have discovered that there is a Microsoft Utility that can access a restore partition and do a factory reset.

The utility is imagex.exe.

It is contained in Windows6.1-KB2525084-v2-x86.cab and it is available for download at http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?showtopic=15932

It does not erase the original partition and data.  Instead, it reinstalls Windows but keeps what ever else is already on the partition.  It creates a new Windows directory and stores the previous Windows directory in a file called Windows.old. 

On my first attempt, I created a functioning, but cluttered and confusing Vista partition with bits of the old and new installations.

My goal was to create a factory reset with none of the old files or data.  So deleted the primary windows partition and replaced it with a empty primary partition. 

I started the computer with a windows 7 installation DVD.  I do not have any Vista installations DVDs.  The Win7 DVD worked.   From there I went to "Repair your computer" and then to "System Recovery Options" and selected "command prompt".

The syntax is like this:

e:\imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\

Where c:\ is the target partition, d:\ is the location of the restore partition, e:\ is the location of imagex.

I created a small "e" partition on the disc drive to keep imagex separate from the restore and installation partitions.  Probably not necessary.  Afterwords, I erased it.

Restore took about 15 minutes. 

At first the restored partition would not boot.  I got a NTLDR missing error. 

I again started the computer with the Windows 7 installation DVD and back to "System Recovery Options" and selected "Startup Repair".  It found the problem and fixed it.  After that I was able to boot normally.  I now had a factory Vista partition.

Here a page that describes it in more detail.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19494817

It worked with a Dell restore partition.  I do not know if it works with restore partitions on different brands of computer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.