windows updates error code "00000643" and "00000646"

these are the error codes i am getting when i run my updates i feel that my computer is not work properly due to these updates not being installed please help:)

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2018 Views 2,325 Applies to:
Answer

Try this for your 646 error Code, and read ALL the posts/solutions to your problem at the link below:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/f3390e74-9961-4aae-8a05-554c1a9cf1a2

Read the info at the above link re that 646 Error Code.

Compliments of: David_O - Support Engineer

This problem occurs when the Windows Update agent file Wups2.dll is registered incorrectly in the registry. Because the registry files that correspond to the Wups2.dll file are missing, update installations are unsuccessful. There are two methods to resolve this issue, use method one first and if it did not resolve your issue, proceed to method 2

Method 1: Register the Windows Update files

1. ClickStart and then type notepad in the Start Search box.

2. ClickNotepad in the Programs list.

3. Copy the following commands, and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL /S
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S
REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S

1. In Notepad, on theFile menu, click Save As.

2. In theSave as type list, click All Files.

3. In theFile name box, type register.bat.

4. Save the Register.bat file to your desktop.

5. Right-click the Register.bat file, and then clickRun as administrator.Collapse this imageExpand this imageIf you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or clickContinue.

6. Try to install updates again.

Method 2: Download and install the Windows Update agent

For more information about how to download and install the latest Windows Update agent, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/923100/

When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error code "1603"

Visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If the above does not help:

You will get the best help for any Update/Service Pack problem in the Vista Update Forum; link below:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/threads

When you repost there, kindly include that Error Code, and exactly what happens when you attempt to Update.

That way you will receive the best help there.

Cheers.

Mick Murphy - Microsoft Partner

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.