Vista installation hangs on completing installation during clean install

Hello, I'm having an issue installing a clean install of Windows Vista Home Basic onto my friend's Acer laptop.

To start off, my friend has had a rouge anti virus that more or less destroyed his windows.  After doing a system restore for the earliest date available, the virus was gone, but Windows kept asking me on how to open simple things such as Internet Explorer and various other programs, which made the OS unusable.  My friend gave me permission to format the drive, and I reinstalled Vista with a DVD of my I had for from one of my PCs, but I used his CD key that was on the laptop.  The installation went fine, so I went on my desktop PC and downloaded all of the drivers for his laptop (Aspire 5516), and then installed a sound card driver, and a BIOs update.  After the BIOs update, the laptop wouldn't start up again.  I tried doing a system restore but it had no restore points, so since I just started, I figured doing a quick format wouldn't hurt.

This is where things got bad.  I've tried reinstalling Vista again, but it keeps hanging on the "Completing installation" part.  I've tried three times so far, and it always hangs at the exact same part, and now I have no clue on what to do.  

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Answer
Answer
The copy of Vista I'm using was from my college that I got for free for being in an IT major.  It wasn't from a particular manufacturer. 

EDIT: I apologize for not saying that from the beginning.  It's never been used since I already had 7 at that time.

Anyway, I switched my BIOs to IDE native or something along those lines and I just got Vista to boot.  I'm in shock, but I guess when I flashed the BIOs, it must of switched it back to the wrong setting or something.  That's all I can think of.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 25, 2020 Views 1,749 Applies to: