Question

Q: Vista Boot up failure

Hi
My computer worked fine for 18 months then this morning I switched on and got a boot up failure. When switched on it shows the horizontal scrolling green bar with (c) microsoft and then goes to a black screen with the mouse arrow which moves but keyboard unresponsive. Starting in safe mode loads drivers as far as crcdisk.sys but again ends up at the black screen with mouse arrow.
Unlike similar situations on other threads I only have Vista Home Premium on my machine (not dual with XP), and a single hard drive split into two.
Selecting default setup in BIOS or inserting Vista external recovery CD make no difference.  I cannot find any option in BIOS for 'Last known good configuration'.
In BIOS it shows my default boot device priority as 1st: Removable, 2nd: Hard Disk, 3rd: CDROM, 4th: Disabled.
Actions on my machine yesterday - routine spybot sweep and deleted tracking cookies and a doubleclick; switched on Defender to deselect some programes from starting up, eg Ituneshelper; moved my User locations for Music from my 2nd compartment (V drive) back to original (C drive); the house's power tripped out whilst the computer was on, I have a surge protector in use and the computer booted up and worked fine after I'd got the house power back on.
Any help gatefully received!
Thanks

Answer

A:

Hi AudiacQ

Seeing how it won't boot normally or into Safe Mode, if you can get it to go to any Restore Point before this issue started is a great 1st step in attempting to resolve the issue. 

Have you installed anything, or added any files in the past 7 days that you might lose?
I think the restore point from 7 days is a good start, but if this does not resolve the issue, you will have to consider doing a Repair on the Vista Installation or possibly a Clean install.

Let us know if restoring to the restore point resolved the issue - thank you
Ken
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 20,059 Last updated: July 9, 2018 Applies to: