problem encountered while running windows vista upgrade advisor

Dear users,

I want to upgrade my Win XP to Win Vista OS. I am running Win Vista Upgrade Advisor. During the scanning upgrade advisor is encountering a problem and there is no error code, the shown message is "Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor encountered an error while scanning your system. If the problem persists, you can uninstall Windows Vista Upgrade advisor and reinstall the latest version".

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it twice but all in vain. I need your help to do my job. Please help me.

Many thanks in advance,
Sudha

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 924 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Sudhavinu,

Thank you for choosing Windows Vista Answers Forum.

First you may try to disable or uninstall the Antivirus Software and run the Vista Upgrade Advisor.

You may also try to perform a clean boot to run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. To perform a clean boot we will have to run System Configuration Utility.

To perform clean boot, follow the steps:

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click Apply and OK.

6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

7. After the computer starts , try to run the Vista Upgrade Advisor and check.

Also, see the section on how to return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135  

Hope this information is useful.

Praseetha K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.