Is it still possible to obtain Windows Vista 64-bit media?

Hello!

Well, I have a genuine, licensed retail copy of Windows Vista Home Premium. With it came the 32-bit media. But back in the days when Vista was just released I was able to order the 64-bit media of Vista Home Premium which I still use today with the same license key that came on the retail box.

About one year ago I bought the Windows Vista Anytime Upgrade which is valid for a Home Premium to Ultimate upgrade. But the disc is 32-bit only! So I was kind of wondering if it is still possible to obtain the 64-bit media separately, only this time for the Ultimate edition of Vista? I ask this because I would like to upgrade to Vista Ultimate but still run on 64-bit, since I can't upgrade from 64-bit Home Premium to 32-bit Ultimate.

I know that it may be too late now, considering the fact that Windows 7 is already released and Windows 8 is in its consumer preview stage now. But I'm not really interested in upgrading to any one of these at this point. All I really want is just to upgrade to Vista Ultimate but I need the 64-bit media, since I already have the license key.

Maybe Microsoft can allow me to download an ISO image of the 64-bit Vista Ultimate? That would be good enough for me, I don't care for the physical disc, it's not really necessary. I could get it from some pirate website or something like that, since I already own not one but two licenses, but I don't want that.

Thanks in advance!

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 539 Applies to:
Answer

The disks are probably not-for-resale disks and that may explain the color. 

The Anytime Upgrade product key is specific to an upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate.  The product key with the shipment is probably a full license key.

>By "Vista upgrade matrix" you mean upgrading from one bit-version to another, like 64-bit to 32-bit or 32 to 64, right?

No.  The upgrade matrix tells you whether an upgrade install is permitted or a custom install is required when moving from one edition of Windows to another.

>Also, if I use a Vista Home Premium key that I have today to install Home Premium, and then upgrade to Vista Ultimate, what happenes to my old key? Does the old key become invalid/replaced by the new key that I got with the upgrade? I mean in case I want to go back to the old edition I had, to revert back to Vista Home Premium, do i use that old key again?

You can use the old key to revert to the old edition.  However you cannot use the key to install the old edition on another computer.  The old key is tied to the upgrade key.

>"If a user is running a 32-bit version of Windows a user can only upgrade to another 32-bit version: to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit requires a clean install."

Now you are confusing an "upgrade install" with an "upgrade license".  A retail upgrade license is valid for moving from a 32bit edition to a 64bit edition, but an upgrade install is not permitted and a custom install is required (because of the change in the bitness of the installation). 

>And now Microsoft is probably going to speed up Windows releases, with new versions coming out every other year or so, or has already done so.

Not true.  Microsoft has been on a three-year cycle for a long time.  There is no speed up.  Vista was delayed for two years when Microsoft declared a moratorium until security issues in Windows were fixed (XP SP2 was the result).

>I'm not sure about Windows 7. I'm not sure if I am gonna get it or wait out for Windows 8. I hear a lot of woes for Windows 7

I don't know where you are getting this info.  Windows 7 is much better than Vista or XP.  Vista is the one that is panned by critics as a real dog.  Try Windows 7 and you will never look back.

Colin Barnhorst

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.