Installing Windows Vista onto second hard drive

I have two 320 gb sata hard drives the first one I have installed has xp running on it I want to install the second one and put Windows Vista on it. I have to things I want to know do I need a full version of Windows Vista or just and upgrade. and how would I go on and do this but Windows Vista on the second drive            

Answer
Answer

You'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows Vista and boot from the Windows Vista DVD.  During setup, you'll see an option to install Windows Vista on the second hard drive.

--

Carey Frisch

Microsoft MVP

Windows Desktop Experience -

Windows Vista Enthusiast

Another community answer from the Windows Vista newsgroups

Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

For most users you have two ways to do a parallel installation of 32bit Windows Vista.  Boot with the dvd as Carey says and select the second drive or start Windows Vista setup from the XP desktop and select the second hard drive for the installation.  You cannot do this with an upgrade edition of Windows Vista and continue to use the existing XP because of a licensing requirement in upgrade editions that says you must discontinue use of the Windows you are upgrading from.  A standard (full) edition makes no such requirement even if you use its upgrade functionality in performing the installation so you want to purchase a full edition and not an upgrade edition.

Before you continue you need to ensure that you have Windows Vista drivers for your computer.  Windows Vista will most likely contain most if not all but there is no garuntee.  Check your computer mfg's website for drivers and for special instructions for upgrading to Windows Vista.

Another community answer from the Windows Vista newsgroups

Brian

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 2,962 Applies to: