Install Windows 98 over Vista

Original Title: PC Is NOT Well!!

In trying to correct a problem, using all the help I could find online and in help, I've somehow ended up with 3 drives (C, which is very low on space) (D, which WAS C, the original and only drive) and something called "Simple Drive (I think) that is just unallocated space. Not being an IT person, I'm at the point that I want to uninstall Vista, then reinstall it. Can I install and older version of Windows OS, wipe out everything else, then reinstall Vista "cleanly"??? I don't want to create any more havoc than I already have!! Thanks for all help.

Question Info

Last updated July 24, 2018 Views 2,119 Applies to:
Answer

Hey PCPuzzle, 

¯ Was Vista pre-installed on the computer?

¯ Why do you want to install Windows 98?

If you have the Windows Vista installation disc, why not perform a clean install rather than installing Windows 98 and then reinstall Vista?

That would be a far simpler approach.

Please find the instructions here: Installing and reinstalling Windows Vista

Installing Windows 98 would depend on the file system that you currently have. NTFS is the recommended file system for Windows Vista and most its likelihood, the current file system of your drive is NTFS.  

Nevertheless, identify the file system that you are using:

a)   Go to Start > Computer.

b)   Right-Click on the drive where you want to install Windows 98 and select “Properties”.

You should be able to see the type and File System listed.

c)    If the disk is formatted in NTFS, your options for returning to Windows 98 is limited because it doesn’t recognize NTFS, and you cannot convert the disk to use the FAT or FAT32 file systems.

The startup disk that you use and the drive where you want to install Windows 98 cannot use NTFS. Microsoft does not support any third-party solutions for the conversion of NTFS to FAT or to FAT32.

d)   If the drive uses the FAT file system, you can then install Windows 98.

For more information, please have a look at the following article.

The steps should be helpful for Vista as well.

How to manually remove Windows XP and then restore Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314052

Also see: How to install Windows 98: helpful tips and suggestions

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi PCPuzzle,

Please take a look at the following article regarding installing Vista.  In particular, please go through the section regardingInstalling Windows by Performing a Clean Installation:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-Vista

In the instructions, be sure to go through Step 1 that talks about installing from the disk, and Step 7 that addresses your partition issues, where to install, deleting etc.

Hope this helps!

Debra
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.