Can't Download Update - Error Number 0x8DDD0002

I received the following message when trying to update Windows Vista Home Basic:
[Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer.
I am listed the administrator for this computer which happens to be my home computer.  What do I have to do so that Windows recognizes that I am listed as the administrator?

Question Info

Last updated August 15, 2018 Views 5,521 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Based on my research, this issue may occur for any one of the following reasons:

1.  You are not logged on as a user who belongs to the local Administrators group. 

2.  You do not have permission to specific registry keys or folders. 

3.  The operating system cannot read the data in the ‘%Systemroot%\System32\Catroot2’ folder. 

To resolve this issue, please take the following steps:

Step 1. Verify that you are logged on as a user who belongs to the local Administrators group.

1.  Click ‘Start’, click ‘Run’, type ‘compmgmt.msc’ , and then click OK. 

2.  In the ‘Computer Management’ window, expand ‘System Tools’, expand ‘Users and Groups’, and then click the ‘Users’ folder. 

3.  In the right pane of the Computer management window, right-click the user whose user rights you want to verify, and then click ‘Properties’. 

4.  On the Member Of tab, verify that Administrators is listed in the Member of box.

After you logged on as an administrator, try to visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site again. If the problem persists, please continue troubleshooting as follow.

Step 2. Delete temporary Internet files. To do this, follow these steps:

1.  Open the ‘Internet Explorer’ window, click ‘Tools’, and then click ’Internet Options’. 

2.  In the Internet Options window, click the ‘General’ tab, under ‘Temporary Internet files’, click ‘Delete Files’, and then click OK.

Try to visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site again. If the problem is resolved, do not continue troubleshooting. 

Step 3. Verify the permissions on the registry keys that are used by the Windows Update client and the Microsoft Update client.

1.  Click ‘Start’, click ‘Run’, type ‘regedit’ , and then click OK.

2.  Locate and select the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate 

3.  On the ’Edit’ menu, click ‘Permissions’, click ‘Add’, and then type ‘everyone’ in the dialog box that appears. 

4.  Click ‘Check Names’, and then click OK. 

5.  Select Everyone in the Group or user names list. 

6.  Under Permissions for Everyone, click to select the ’Full Control’ check box in the Allow column. 

7.  Select each user, in turn, in the Group or user names list, and then verify that no check boxes are selected in the Deny column. Click to clear any check boxes that are selected in the Deny column. 

8.  Click ‘Advanced’, click to select the ‘Replace permission’ entries on all child objects check box, and then click OK. 

9.  Click ‘YES’ if you are prompted for confirmation, and then click OK to close the dialog box.

Try to visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site again. If the problem is resolved, do not continue troubleshooting.

Step 4.Verify the permissions for you on the folder structure used by the Windows Update client or by the Microsoft Update client.

1.  Click ‘Start’, click ‘Run’, type ‘explorer’, and then click OK. 

2.  Expand ‘My computer’, expand ‘System Drive’ , and then expand ‘WINDOWS’. 

3.  Right-click ‘SoftwareDistribution’, and then click ‘Properties’. 

4.  In the SoftwareDistribution Properties window, click the ‘Security’ tab, and then verify that whether you are in the Group or user names list. 

5.  In the Group or user names list, select Everyone. Under Permissions for Everyone, click to select the Full Control check box in the Allow column.

Step 5.Rename the Catroot2 folder. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line:

net stop cryptsvc

ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2

net start cryptsvc

Then, try to visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site again. If the problem is resolved, do not continue troubleshooting.

Step 6. Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. To do this, follow these steps.

1.  Restart the computer in Safe mode. 

2.  Locate and then rename the Drive :\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old .  

3.  Restart the computer in Normal mode.

Try to visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site again. If the issue persists, please respond back and let me know.

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.