BSOD during upgrade from xp pro 64 to vista ultimate 64

doing some work on my buddy's rig, trying to get vista 64 to install.  computer had been running fine on vista 32, upgraded ram & video card added another hdd and bd drive.  vista 32 still worked ok, reformatted hdd and loaded xp64 no problems.  tried upgrading to vista 64 and after one of many restarts i get this bsod message : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL  stop:  0x0000000a (0xFFFFFA99C3B6001A, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF800105E251).  updated all drivers in xp 64 before upgrade, installed all updates for xp 64.  also tried removing all drivers before upgrade.  i was thinking about returning it to its original hardware config, and try installing xp 32 before upgrading to vista 64 and then installing the new gear.  i know this computer can handle vista.  take it easy on the tech side, i don't know that much but i can understand anything explained to me.

amd athlon 64 x2 3800

msi k9n sli platinum

4gb 800mHz ram (originally 1gb 533mHz)

250gb wd blue caviar wd2500ks

1.5tb wd green caviar wd15ears(new)

evga gt220 (originally ati x1350)

hp dvd1270 drive

samsung bdrom(new)

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 234 Applies to:
Answer
i have all the drivers on cd/dvd but the problem happens during the upgrade/install process during a auto reboot.  i have no way to load the drivers because xp has been removed and vista fails to start. 

hey TheDu

you have to do a clean installation of vista

have a look at the below microsoft link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Upgrading-from-Windows-XP-to-Windows-Vista

XP to Windows Vista">

Windows Vista Home Basic

Clean installation

Windows Vista Home Premium

Clean installation

Windows Vista Business

Clean installation

Windows Vista Ultimate

Clean installation

Windows Vista (64-bit versions)

Clean installation

Upgrading from a 64-bit version of Windows XP Professional to a 64-bit version ofWindows Vista

You can use an upgrade copy of a 64-bit version of Windows Vista. To do this, however, you must perform a clean installation.

For instructions about performing a clean installation, see Installing and reinstalling Windows.

For more information about installing and upgrading 64-bit versions of Windows, go toVista (64-bit)"" href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=83239">Installation choices for Windows Vista (64-bit)

online.
Walter, The Time Zone Traveller

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.