Blue Screen of Death and System Restore

I have a Sony Vaio Vista 64-bit.

I was downloading a game and in the middle of it, it crashed. And the Blue Screen of Death appeared and restarted afterwords. And asked me to go on Safe Mode, and I did, and then turned it off after I've got to the main screen after putting my password. Anyways, I turned it on and it loaded normally and  then would go to a black screen asking to scan for a solution about "Memory" or something like that. And this process took 15 mins and my result says that there was no solution found. And after I clicked finish it turned off. So I turned it on again and it did the same thing and this process happened atleast 10 time until I got a different window that popped up which asked me if I wanted to use a tool to fix something about the memory. And after that it worked. Also keep in mind during my attempts earlier when I would turn it on and put on Normal Mode instead of Safe mode the Blue Screen of Death would pop up in the screen quickly and flicker and turn off afterwords. Oh and I system restore it from like 3 days ago.

When I finally got it to work, I full scanned it with my Anti-Virus Norton 360. And updated things cause of system restore. So after the updates it ask me to restart. So I did, and I had to repeat the whole process again from the first paragraph to get it to working again. And I noticed that some of my deleted programs were back so I tried to see if they were still working. A message pop up and it said Error and as I try to delete it from Control Panel/Uninstall a program but it says "Setup.exe has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify if a solution is available." There are atleast 2 programs I have deleted before the System Restore, and they both almost exactly say the same thing. But the other says "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file."

I just want to know hot manually delete these. And help me witht he Blue Screen of Death? What things can I download to help my memory? Or my Driver? So it can stop crashing!
Hopefully someone can read all of this and help me, since I have no knowledge with computers. So hopefully someone helps me! Thank you!

Question Info

Last updated June 29, 2019 Views 2,439 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi,

Welcome to Windows Vista answers community.

- To uninstall the programs run Windows cleanup utility. Download the package from the link below, install it and run the tool to find the programs to uninstall them.

Description of the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/290301

- Install the programs that you have trouble uninstalling and then try to uninstall. This is because some of the files that are required by the program are missing or they have been corrupt.

-Check the websites of the publishers of program to check if they have posted any removal tool for that program.

- Now to fix the issue with Blue screen, lets first remove all the external devices (except keyboard and mouse) and check if you have the same issue.

-Run checkdisk command from Windows Recovery Environment to check if there are any bad sectors.

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.

2. Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will simply report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

4. Click Start.

Refer the link below for more information.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/bc1393cf-9f9c-79c7-0f91-9337c2c41f811033.mspx

- Put the computer in clean boot to check if any of the third party software is causing this issue.
To perform a clean boot on a computer that is running Windows Vista, follow these steps.

1.  Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2.  On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3.  Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4.  Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5.    Click OK.

6.  When you are prompted, click Restart.

7.  After the computer starts, reinstall and start the program and check whether the problem is resolved.

Check for previous issues. If your issue is resolved, follow the How to Determine what is causing the Problem section in the KB article to narrow down the exact source.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796 .

To return your computer to a Normal startup mode, follow these steps.

1. Click Start in the Start Search box.

2. Type msconfig, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password,     or click Continue.

3. Click the General tab.

4.  Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

5. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Let us know if this helps

Regards,
Sreekanth
Microsoft Support
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.