After reboot, I get Windows Vista build 6002 this copy of windows is not genuine, but the system..activation looks fine

After a reboot/virus scan (after the last large windows update from Microsoft), I am seeing on the bottom right part of my screen:

Windows Vista(TM) Build 6002 This copy of Windows is not genuine.

I looked at the System..screen and it shows that:   Windows is activated.

I ran the Microsoft Genuine Diagnostics tool, and it shows:
Validation status:  Genuine
Validation Code:  0

Shows N/A for Resolution status (presumably because it thinks the install is ok).

Not sure what the issue is here?  Does anyone know a fix for this?  I'd rather not have the system stop working after 30days!
Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 27, 2018 Views 1,608 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

According to the report you posted, you shouldn't be seeing a non-genuine issue - the report is clean.

If you are indeed seeing a non-genuine notification, then  Is it only there some of the time, or is it there all the time?

If it's only present some of the time, then you have a race condition - and those can be a nightmare to solve, as they disappear as soon as you look at them:) They are often caused by Anti-Virus programs conflicting with other running programs

If it's there all the time, then try the following.

Vista's Licensing Store may be corrupt or its data may be messed up in some way. Please try the below steps to recreate the Store with the correct data.

1) Open an Internet Browser window.
2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
3) Find the file CMD.exe
4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
5) Type: net stop slsvc (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
9) Type: net start slsvc
10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
11) Restart your computer twice.
12) You may be required to enter the Product Key and/or Activate.

Noel Paton
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi -
No, I don't work for Microsoft!
http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.