windows vista upgrade advisor can't connect to server

Hi

I am running XP x86 on a Gateway (yea!) and considering upgrading to Vista Ultimate (as I have a copy and do not want to flush any more $ into the Gateway). 

When I run windows Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (both versions I could find at MicroSoft {Vista Upgrade Advisor & Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor}), they both have same error, "can't connect to server".  I just sucessfully ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it says I am mostly good to go, just needed to download my Marvell Yuknon Ethernet Controller 88E8050 Drivers, so I went to Marevell site and grabbed all they had for Xp, Vista and 7. 

If I had a copy of Windows 7, I'd probably install that, but I'll I got is Vista Ultimate. 

I have also tried running The Vista Upgrade Advisor on a different machine (Dell Dimension XP) and it does the same thing, will not connect to Vista Upgrade Advisor Sever, but runs Windows 7 Upgrade advisor like a champ. 

I tried explaining all this to MicroSoft Support {(800) 642-7676} that the Windows Vista upgrade advisor can not connect to server.  They insisted the problem has to be with my firewall or virus software and transfered me to there sales department who stated Windows 7 was no longer available for purchase and didn't know what Vista was (luck them). 

Does anyone from MicroSoft or someone who can communicate better with them have any way to get MicroSoft to check their server for the Vista Upgrade Advisor. 

To load Vista (even as upgrade from XP) it appears to be a complete wipe (says it backs up some files, but MicroSoft tech support states it wipes everything).  I'd like to be sure this will work before I clean wipe, as with no XP automatic updates, I'd never be able to get my PC up and running again, there are just way too many (100s) of SPs and various updates needed to get back to current condition. 

Wish MicroSoft could get there Windows Vista Update Advisor Server Running or better yet offer a free upgrade to Windows 7 as a lot of XP machines will run 7. 

I am pretty sure issue is with Microsoft server, when you run advisor from there website, you get can not make connection error, when you run advisor from Vista DVD it takes you to a site advisizing purchasing windows 7 or something like that.  THey really should just give you the Windows 7 disks, if they are going to do that, I use to hold MicroSoft stock years ago, when they treated there customers well, I've since sold it, I know that's dumb, but I do not wish to own stock in a company that does not supporttheir products.  They should all come with a lifetime warranty. 

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2018 Views 791 Applies to:
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry this didn't help.

Feel free to begin your own, new thread about your computer & your issues.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

PA Bear is not reading the original thread, or not reading the re-directed thread.

to: Cos_:  Have you found a solution? I am trying to travel the upgrade path through vista. I too am getting this message.

Sorry this didn't help.

You will find support for upgrading a WinXP computer to Vista by beginning your own, new thread in this forum => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_install

Note: Extended Support (and updates) for Vista SP2 ends on 11 April 2017.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I was able to run Windows 7 Upgrade advisor and it was OK, so I went ahead and installed the Vista Ultimate, which has worked fine.  I did have to maunually download and install Vista SP 1 & 2, but after that, auto updates with no problems.  Be a shame when vista support ends in two years, I find the Vista Ultimate works just fine, a lot less virus problems than with XP. 

Cos

Sorry this didn't help.