Windows Vista Update

What does error code 80248015 mean when windows tries to update Vista

Thankyou

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2018 Views 74 Applies to:

Hi Phil 1953:

Are you still getting an error 80248015 today when you run Windows Update?

There was a known issue where many Windows 7 users who ran a Windows Update on 04-Dec-2017 saw an error 80248015 with the message "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer".  I don't know if Vista SP2 was also affected but Microsoft has now fixed the problem - at least for Win 7 users.  See Martin Brinkmann's article Getting Windows 7 Update Error 80248015? You Are Not Alone on ghack.net as well as Gunter Born's recently updated blog entry Windows 7: Error 0x80248015 in Update Search (Dec. 4, 2017) for more information.

If you see another error 80248015 there is one possible workaround I know of that works for Windows 7 but it requires users to temporarily disable the setting for Microsoft Update (Windows Update | Change settings | Microsoft Update | Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows), and once that setting is disabled the option to receive Microsoft Updates is completely removed and can be very difficult to get back again. Post back if you need any further assistance with this.

If your Windows Updates gets stuck on "Checking for updates..." today just note that this is a common problem on Vista SP2 computers and requires a separate fix - see the instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours for a possible workaround.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.0 * NS v22.11.2.7 * MS Office 2003 Professional

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Phil 1953:

Just wanted to let you know that at least one other Vista SP2 has reported the same error 80248015.  See Vista1972's 08-Dec-2017 post # 619 in the VistaForums thread windows update just seems to hang while checking.  I post in that thread as user lmacri.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.0 * NS v22.11.2.7 * MS Office 2003 Professional

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Phil 1953:

Are you still getting an error 80248015 today when you run Windows Update?

There was a known issue where many Windows 7 users who ran a Windows Update on 04-Dec-2017 saw an error 80248015 with the message "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer".  I don't know if Vista SP2 was also affected but Microsoft has now fixed the problem - at least for Win 7 users.  See Martin Brinkmann's article Getting Windows 7 Update Error 80248015? You Are Not Alone on ghack.net as well as Gunter Born's recently updated blog entry Windows 7: Error 0x80248015 in Update Search (Dec. 4, 2017) for more information.

If you see another error 80248015 there is one possible workaround I know of that works for Windows 7 but it requires users to temporarily disable the setting for Microsoft Update (Windows Update | Change settings | Microsoft Update | Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows), and once that setting is disabled the option to receive Microsoft Updates is completely removed and can be very difficult to get back again. Post back if you need any further assistance with this.

If your Windows Updates gets stuck on "Checking for updates..." today just note that this is a common problem on Vista SP2 computers and requires a separate fix - see the instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours for a possible workaround.
------------

Tried the FIX IT option from Microsoft but still having the same issues. I think I will just leave it as VISTA SP2 no longer supported.

Thank You for your help

Phil 1953

Sorry this didn't help.