Windows Vista Update KB2631813 Failure: Error 80071AA7

Please Help!

The referenced update will not install after reboot. All other updates since January 9 have installed automatically. This one shows as failed every single day.

System Info: Windows Vista Home Premium, 32-bit (x86), SP2

Also: I have already run a million different virus/malware scans and re-uninstalled Norton.

Here's what else I've tried, to no avail:

1. Downloaded and run Microsoft Fix It Center. I run the Windows Update fixer, which says it has detected and fixed two issues. However, the update does not install after reboot.

2. All hidden files currently show in the Files and Folders Options.

3. I have deleted the contents of Download and EventCache folders in Windows/Software Distribution folder.

4. Downloaded the standalone installer from the Microsoft Downloads library. The update is configured upon shutting down, but on restart, the same old "0% Configured" message shows before saying "Update was not configured properly, reverting changes". Then, when the desktop appears, the "failed to install" balloon shows on the Windows Update icon that appears in the tray at the bottom right of the screen.

What else should I do?

Thanks in advance.

DB

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 1,011 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

You could perform an in-place upgrade if you have the OS CD and it does not remove any exiting files or folders that you have.

In-place upgrade reinstalls the operating system into the same folder, just as if you were upgrading from one version of Windows to another. An in-place upgrade will usually solve most, if not all, Windows problems, replacing missing dll's etc.

Refer:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Note: Before any installation, make sure to backup the data.

Refer:

How to back up files and recover data

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/backupdata.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.