Q: Windows Vista Blue screen error message - disable caching or shadowing This thread is locked from future replies

Original title: error message telling me to disable caching or shadowing.. its a blue screen and wont clear till i turn my computer off again and use safe mode

a bright blue background page that began "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down  to prevent damage to your computer"  (1) disable or remove any newly installed software, (2) diasble any BIOS options such as caching or shadowing

·        Did you install any new programs on the system?

·        What is the exact error message that you receive when you encounter blue screen?

Method 1:

I would suggest you to unplug all the external devices such as printers, scanners etc from the system and then tyr to boot to the desktop and check.

Method 2:

If it was working fine before, I would suggest you to do a system restore from Windows Recovery environment and check. Follow the steps mentioned in the article given below.

Make system repairs from the Windows Recovery Environment

What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista?

System Restore: frequently asked questions

Method 3:

I would suggest you to do a clean boot in safe mode and check. To perform a clean boot follow steps mentioned in the link given below.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Note: After you have finished installing, follow step 7 to boot the computer in normal startup.

Method 4:

Note:Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

I would suggest you to reset the BIOS (Basic Input / Output System). For further details on how to reset the BIOS contact the manufacturer.

BIOS: frequently asked questions

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3,812 Last updated: December 3, 2017 Applies to: