Windows Update on Vista in not working.

I have Windows Vista.  Windows Update is not working.  I receive a message that I don't have the service.  I have Cable One Services.  Any suggestions?

I am currently using Microsoft Fix it.  It says it is resolving the issue for over a hour already.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Answer
Answer
Also......  Please give this a try.

Go into Control Panel >> click on Windows Update item

Click on Change settings (at top left)

under Important updates, click on the down-arrow pull-down

Click on Never check for updates

press OK

Close the Control Panel window

Then Logoff and restart Windows fresh.

When ready, go back into Control Panel >> click on Windows Update item

Click on Change settings (at top left)

under Important updates, click on the down-arrow pull-down

Now make the selection that you need for automatic updates

press OK when done

Close the Control Panel window

Next, do a fresh visit to Windows Update. Kindly advise on results.

If this solves the original issue, kindly click on the MARK It (at bottom) link.
~ Maurice

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Is it a Vista 32-bit or a Vista 64-bit computer?  See...

• Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

2. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Assuming Vista SP2 is installed => Are ALL of the following updates listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

(a) KB2724197 [or KB2633171 if Vista 32-bit or KB2556532 if Vista 64-bit], KB2661254 & KB2749655;

(b) KB2744842 [or KB2722913], KB2705219, KB2712808, KB2731847 and possibly KB2736233;

(c) KB2698365, KB2691442, KB2655992 & KB2719985 [or possibly KB2721691];

(d) KB2685939, KB2658846, KB2659262, KB2660649, KB2676562, KB2688338 & KB2690533;

(e) KB2393802 and especially KB971029.

6. If Windows Vista Service Pack 2 is listed in Installed Updates, when (exact date) was it installed according to Update History (this time)? [2]

7a. Is Java Version 7 Update 9 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (ONLY!) => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

7b. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.4.402.287 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (ONLY!) => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

8. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

9. Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install or a clean install of Windows?

10. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

==================================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | View update history (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2019 Views 31,171 Applies to: