Windows wont let me update anything unless it is a security definition update for Windows Defender. I have Windows Vista Home Basic.
I have checked my services to see if Software Licensing was running and it is. Please help!! I have ran Check Disk and that did nothing. PLEASE HELP! I am unable to install ANY updates unless its updates for Windows Defender's Definitions.
This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Vista Forums.
This problem occurs if the Software Licensing service (Slsvc.exe) is not running while updating windows.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
Restart the computer.
Make sure that Slsvc.exe is running before you start the update. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start and type Services or
services.msc in the search box and then click on Services under Programs section of the search results on top pane.
2. If User Account Control asks your permission to continue, click Continue. If UAC asks for administrator’s password, enter a valid password.
3. Scroll down the list to the service Software Licensing and double-click it.
4. In the properties window of the Software Licensing service, set Startup type to
5. Click Start to start the service. If the status is already running, click the
Stop button and confirm with Yes to stop the service. Restart the service by clicking the
6. Click OK to exit from Software Licensing’s Properties window and close the Services window.
If that does not work, let us try "Fix it".
Microsoft has released a new "Fix it"solution that should automatically solve your problems with Windows Update. Just click the link below and follow the instructions.
If the issue still persists, let us try the following method.
Microsoft released the System Update Readiness Tool to resolve certain conditions that could cause installing updates and other software not to work. You do not have to manually run this tool. This tool is offered automatically through Windows Update to
computers that have a condition that the tool could resolve.
Let us follow the instructions in the link below, which will help you in resolving the issue.
Please post back and let us know if this has helped to resolve your issue.
10 people were helped by this reply
Did this solve your problem?
Sorry this didn't help.
Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.
How satisfied are you with this reply?
Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.