Last month Vista Windows Updates started to hang with "checking for updates".
I have: 1. Tried all fixes that I could find.
2. Reloaded Vista with SP1 from a recovery partition.
3. Update worked until SP2; SP2 downloaded and installed OK.
4. Next, Update said I needed latest update agent(7.6.7600.256). It downloaded and installed OK. At that point the Windows Update fails.
5. If I uninstall SP2, but leave the update agent, it works. When I reinstall SP2, it fails.
6. I installed a completely different image of Vista - this one had SP2 embedded in it. This version fails the same way.
7. I have run SFC, CHKDSK, system diags, updated all my drivers, refreshed BIOS, and replaced the memory. As far as I can tell this is the only thing that does not work on my PC.
Does anyone have any ideas.? -- Thanks!