Vista Critical Downloads Not Happening

I've been trying for days and many wasted hours trying to get the September 2016 Critical Updates for my Vista 32-bit computer. All it says is "Checking for updates..."  That has been happening for hours since the 13th. What is wrong and why hasn't anything been done to fix this never ending problem? I am 80 years old and can't continue to keep my Vista laptop running for hours to try and get these Critical Updates every month with no solution. What is wrong and why aren't the Critical Updates downloading? I am just about to give up because of so much wasted time. Can someone PLEASE offer a solution! This has been going on for months!

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2018 Views 1,713 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Who knows why,but to take simple actions.In run/cmd type:  appwiz.cpl  in add remove click on

windows components,edit .NET 3.5 make available,edit other services,close out.Next type:  services.msc

In msc,enable .NET 2.0  (Double click on it),next scroll to windows installer,set all to "auto start"

next windows modules,set as above,edit others,exit msc.

Vista OS has/Had update resources to fix the OS,but most are not available..Might try update catalog

for more downloads.

v

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It's due to the release of >...<.

Update: See https://answers.microsoft.com/message/9366cc04-59d6-4b37-bee9-dffcdc7c602a

Regards, VZ

Sorry this didn't help.

I cannot figure out what is going on here.

I downloaded KB3185911 from the Microsoft website and I have tried two times to get it to run.

#1---save the file and double-clicked on it

#2 -- use "run" from the dialog box

In both case, I get Windows Standalone Installer and a dialog box stating "searching for updates"

Nothing seems to happen and this dialog box has been open for quite some time now.

Does anyone out there have a fix or know how to get this update processed--so I can get back to AUTO updating?

Sorry this didn't help.

End process "wusa.exe" via task manager. Set automatic updates to "Never check for updates" and reboot. You'll be able to install KB3185911 afterwards.

Regards, VZ

Sorry this didn't help.

THX--I was able to install KB3185911 successfully based on your answers.

However--what should be my next steps to get all the updates I think are out there?

Here is my setup now:

wuauserv is "stopped"

"Never check for updates" is checked

When would I be able to start "wuauserv" and "auto check for updates"

Is this going to happen every month from now one for W/Vista??

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no idea what you are talking about. As I mentioned, I am 80 years old and know nothing about computers and cannot possibly understand. What you have supplied is completely confusing to me as a novice.

No one can even supply the KB numbers of the actual Critical Updates for Vista 32 for Sept. 2016. Every place I look shows different KB numbers and so no one know which ones are the correct ones.

Why are other people posting their questions on my thread? I am having trouble who is answering my question or who is asking a question. Shouldn't they start their own thread?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did install the KB3185911 and then when I checked for updates, it still continues to say "Checking for Updates." How long is that supposed to take?

Add-on: After about 15 minutes, the screen said I now had updates. I allowed them to install and now show 7 updates installed successfully. I guess that KB318911 was the solution, but don't know what will happen next month. It seems to be a never ending story with MS and critical updates. I think they are paying too much attention to Win 10 and ignoring Win 7 and Vista. Thanks for the suggestion about the KB318511. First bit of useful information I received over the past few days. I wasted many, many hours trying to get these downloads as I am sure others have also.

BTW: Are you 'connected' to MS or will anyone from MS read these posts and possibly correct the download problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Andrew:

You really need to learn how to write in complete sentences for others to understand.  Already I detected errors in your work around to the problem. Geesh!

Sorry this didn't help.

You are correct, Microsoft is not supporting Windows Vista, Windows7, Windows 8/8.1 as they should be. For those that paid "Retail" for these O/S (Operating Systems) my heart goes out to you.  I only purchase OEM (Original Manufactures Equipment) related software from Microsoft.  This means that there isn't any technical support offered. Since I have a CIS degree/ A+ Cert. and build my own systems, I do not rely on Microsoft's shabby technical support staff.

I have discovered a page on Microsoft's website, where you are able to download  and install the security updates from 2006 to the present.  This includes Windows Updates for Windows XP Through Windows 10.

Since I know that Microsoft purposely break links that people provide in these forums, I have no problem sending you the link in an email.

Microsoft's theory is, if you are unable to find support for your current operating system, then you no other choice but to upgrade. In my book, that is nothing but a bunch of bull.

There is another practice everyone should follow, creating a "System Image". Back on 10/2015, I reformatted my hard drive(s) and performed a clean install of Windows Vista, 7, and 8.1.  Plus made sure that nasty KB3035583 update did not download and install. If you recall, that update would set up your computer to download and install Windows 10.  Once I have updated the drivers, programs/software and Windows Security Updates and Patches, I perform a system image. There are programs out on the web that are free for the "End Users". 

Should I  contract a computer virus, instead of playing around trying to rid of it, I just wipe my hard drive clean, and apply my system image and I am ready to go. Plus, Windows Updates works as it should.  It appears that Microsoft has taken the feature "Updates on Demand" away. This was when you were able to see what updates were available before downloading and installing.  The feature is still available, it just doesn't work.

I am opened to any questions you may have.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this going to happen every month from now one for W/Vista??

It is. :/

Sorry this didn't help.